MA translation in the uk
Thread poster: EST2010
ANNE MARIE JACKSON
ANNE MARIE JACKSON  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:02
Russian to English
Literary translation Dec 4, 2012

You might want to have a look at the Use Your Language, Use Your English site here:

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/european/about-us/use-your-language-use-your-english

There is an online component, which is free, associated summer school (not free) and testing to join a register (also not free but a good place to be).

VGobbato (X)
VGobbato (X)
Italy
Local time: 18:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Diploma in translation Aug 26, 2013

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about applying for a diploma in translation at the Univesity of Westminster, since it's faster and cheaper than a MA. I was wondering, though, is it a good choice? Is the quality of courses satisfactory? Should I consider applying for the bilingual translation MA, since maybe it's more "complete"?

Thank you in advance

Ania Heasley
Ania Heasley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
Quality of UK universities :) Aug 27, 2013

Re: R. Jones comment: 'while Bristol is regarded as one of the top UK Universities'
Both Bristol and Exeter are among top British universities, both are in the Russell Group of universities, and always in the top 10 UK universities in various rankings.

By contrast, Westminster University is... well, nowhere near the top, to use an understatement.

Portsmouth is somewhere in between.

In my opinion it would be worth researching the reputation of the
... See more
Re: R. Jones comment: 'while Bristol is regarded as one of the top UK Universities'
Both Bristol and Exeter are among top British universities, both are in the Russell Group of universities, and always in the top 10 UK universities in various rankings.

By contrast, Westminster University is... well, nowhere near the top, to use an understatement.

In my opinion it would be worth researching the reputation of the university itself, as a degree from Exeter carries substantially more weight than from Westminster. Especially if, after completing it, you end up working in a different field (life sometimes happens despite our most careful planning).
Collapse

clairetransl (X)
clairetransl (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Westminster is good for translation Sep 8, 2013

Ania Heasley wrote:

In my opinion it would be worth researching the reputation of the university itself, as a degree from Exeter carries substantially more weight than from Westminster. Especially if, after completing it, you end up working in a different field (life sometimes happens despite our most careful planning).

It's important to consider individual departments within universities. I didn't consider Westminster for my MA because I'd never heard of it, but its translation/interpreting courses are actually highly respected. I know lots of people who studied at Westminster and went on to start careers in European institutions and so on. From what I know about them, the Westminster courses are much more practical than some of the courses offered by the redbrick unis.

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
London Met Sep 8, 2013

clairemcn wrote:

It's important to consider individual departments within universities. I didn't consider Westminster for my MA because I'd never heard of it, but its translation/interpreting courses are actually highly respected.

London Metropolitan has an awful reputation for its administration, but it has an excellent languages department. I did my MA in translation there and was more than happy with the standard of teaching.

Stephen Emm
Stephen Emm  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
University of Surrey Sep 30, 2013

For the earlier poster looking for a good MA course in Translation not too far away from Brighton, I would suggest the University of Surrey in Guildford.
I did my MA there in 2001 and was impressed with the standard of the teaching and the content of the course itself. Surrey also has a well-established reputation in this area.
I would recommend it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

MA translation in the uk

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »