https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_uk/159956-ma_in_translation_bristol_university.html

MA in translation Bristol University
Thread poster: lovetolearn
lovetolearn
lovetolearn
United Kingdom
Mar 9, 2010

Hello, I'm a holder of an Open University bachelor's degree in Modern Language Studies (French, Spanish and English). With the OU I also received a diploma in each of these languages. I'm now thinking about doing a MA in translation, I'm looking for a distance course because I'm working part-time and because I prefer to study at my own pace. I found the Bristol University very interesting
<
... See more
Hello, I'm a holder of an Open University bachelor's degree in Modern Language Studies (French, Spanish and English). With the OU I also received a diploma in each of these languages. I'm now thinking about doing a MA in translation, I'm looking for a distance course because I'm working part-time and because I prefer to study at my own pace. I found the Bristol University very interesting
http://www.bris.ac.uk/sml/prosppost/matranslation/ I'd like to know if anybody has studied with this university, how does the distance course works and everything helpful you can tell me would be really appreciated! I need an advice from everybody: I do speak very fluently Brazilian Portuguese and Russian too. I couldn't study them at the OU because they weren't offered, is it a good idea to study them now for my Master's? I also don't have a clue if the Portuguese offered by the Bristol University is Brazilian or not...any idea? Do I also need to be fluent in my native language? I'm actually Italian but I live here since I was 18 (now I'm almost 22) and I can't speak Italian that good. This is also due to the fact that, also when I lived in Italy, I didn't like it and studied in a much more advanced way English and the other languages than Italian. Can this be an issue at the Bristol Uni? I also hold the ECPE Michigan. It's a test of Proficiency in English administered by the University of Michigan. The Bristol doesn't mention any IELTS, TOEFL, should I contact them and ask them about my certification and if they accept it? I'm sorry for my long post but I need help!
Thank you very much indeed!

[Edited at 2010-03-09 18:09 GMT]
Collapse

amanda55
amanda55
English to Finnish
+ ...
Bristol Uni Mar 9, 2010

Hi lovetolearn, first of all, congratulations on all your achievements, you sound great. How I envy you, living in Bristol, my home town. Bristol University is ranked amongst the highest in the country and gaining entry there is like finding a gold mine. I used to temp at the Wills building, for the dept of Geology and loved every minute of it. I don't know if you have heard of the great, eminent professors Steven Sparks and Mike Benton? The latter wrote the series "Walking with Dinasaurs"... See more
Hi lovetolearn, first of all, congratulations on all your achievements, you sound great. How I envy you, living in Bristol, my home town. Bristol University is ranked amongst the highest in the country and gaining entry there is like finding a gold mine. I used to temp at the Wills building, for the dept of Geology and loved every minute of it. I don't know if you have heard of the great, eminent professors Steven Sparks and Mike Benton? The latter wrote the series "Walking with Dinasaurs" that was the fantastic BBC production. I had the privilege of having two of his books signed by him and I typed up a lot of his work. They offered me a permie role but the commute was impossible after hubby changed jobs and had to commute outside of Bristol.

As to TOEFL, I did TEFL out in Spain 18 months ago and got my fingers burnt by a cowboy outfit. Filton College does a 12 month TEFL course which I can highly recommend, it gives you enough time to concentrate, I was absolutely exhausted after my one month in Spain. Getting up at 8 and coming home at 2am the following morning was not fun.
Collapse

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:01
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Coincidence Mar 9, 2010

I've been interested in this MA programme for quite a while now. I also translate to Brazilian Portuguese and have contacted them this week about it. They told me that Brazilian Portuguese is fine, they have capable tutors.

Also, as I'm thinking of taking the Diptrans next year, I'll let you know that if you are a holder of this Diploma, you can go straight to the MA dissertation, which is what I plan to do.

I hold the CPE (Proficiency in English by Cambridge) and they
... See more
I've been interested in this MA programme for quite a while now. I also translate to Brazilian Portuguese and have contacted them this week about it. They told me that Brazilian Portuguese is fine, they have capable tutors.

Also, as I'm thinking of taking the Diptrans next year, I'll let you know that if you are a holder of this Diploma, you can go straight to the MA dissertation, which is what I plan to do.

I hold the CPE (Proficiency in English by Cambridge) and they do accept it. I do not think they will have a problem with your qualifications, since it shows that you're competent enough to follow the course. They require anything equal or superior to a 6.5 in the IELTS, so it won't be a problem for you!

[Edited at 2010-03-09 21:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-09 21:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-09 21:27 GMT]
Collapse

Emmanuelle Darut
Emmanuelle Darut  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:01
English to French
+ ...
distance learning at UWE Jun 10, 2010

I completed an MA in Translation with the University of West England (Bristol) and did my dissertation the same way. It was the part time distance learning course and because I was doing it part time, it took me several years. However, I strongly recommend it, it was excellent and the logistics are really well sorted.

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:01
Member (2008)
English to French
Do you recommend any particular classes? (or not) Jun 18, 2010

Emmanuelle Darut wrote:

I completed an MA in Translation with the University of West England (Bristol) and did my dissertation the same way. It was the part time distance learning course and because I was doing it part time, it took me several years. However, I strongly recommend it, it was excellent and the logistics are really well sorted.

I was just accepted in the MA program - are there any particular classes/professors that you would strongly recommend? or recommend avoiding?

When you say several years, do you mean 3-4? I'll also be doing it part-time as my freelancing business is definitely a full time affair. How did you juggle your time? Did you set aside specific times to concentrate on your course load and turn down paid work or did you simply wait for a lull between projects and hope that the down time would be sufficient to get your studies done?

Any insight would be most appreciated as I haven't followed a university class since 2006 and I've never done a distance learning course.

[Edited at 2010-06-18 08:55 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

MA in translation Bristol University

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »