https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_uk/209872-broadband_and_telephone_provider_in_the_uk.html

Broadband and telephone provider in the UK
Thread poster: Estefanía González
Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 14, 2011

Hi everyone,

I just moved from Germany to London and I am looking for a broadband and telephone provider.

I would also like to have two different landline numbers. One number for personal use and the other one for professional use. None of the companies I have approached -except for BT, who would need to install an extra line – offer the possibility of having two different landline numbers.

Have you found a workaround to this?

Which are your
... See more
Hi everyone,

I just moved from Germany to London and I am looking for a broadband and telephone provider.

I would also like to have two different landline numbers. One number for personal use and the other one for professional use. None of the companies I have approached -except for BT, who would need to install an extra line – offer the possibility of having two different landline numbers.

Have you found a workaround to this?

Which are your experiences with VoIP providers in the UK?

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Estefanía González
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:09
French to English
+ ...
Extra line Oct 14, 2011

As far as your extra "land line" is concerned, why not just buy as many numbers as you need from Skype-- it costs a few quid a month and you can install Skype on your iPhone (or other smartphone I assume) so when somebody rings your number, it comes through to your phone.

To the customer, it's effectively like any other national phone number-- they pay standard call charges. You can even choose a number local to various major cities if you want customers to benefit from local call c
... See more
As far as your extra "land line" is concerned, why not just buy as many numbers as you need from Skype-- it costs a few quid a month and you can install Skype on your iPhone (or other smartphone I assume) so when somebody rings your number, it comes through to your phone.

To the customer, it's effectively like any other national phone number-- they pay standard call charges. You can even choose a number local to various major cities if you want customers to benefit from local call charges (though it depends if you really want to go out of your way to encourage phone calls, of course-- on the rare occasion somebody telephones me for a quote, really the first thing I'm going to ask them to do is e-mail the document anyway...).

[Edited at 2011-10-14 16:32 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Broadband and telephone provider in the UK

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »