https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_uk/211900-experience_with_skype_online_numbers.html

Experience with Skype online numbers
Thread poster: Estefanía González
Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2011

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of getting a Skype online number for business purposes. Has anyone got any experience with Skype online numbers? And if so, do you consider the service to be reliable?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Estefanía

claude
claude
Thailand
Local time: 17:57
English to French
Quite reliable Nov 13, 2011

Hola Estefania,

My name is Gonzalez too, by the way, we probably have some common ancestors in prehistoric times considering the number of gonzalez in the world.

I am using exclusively my skype number with my customers for a few years and I did not suffer of any interruption or failure. The connection is rather robust, as I used it in many countries and many conditions. This looks pretty transparent for my customers.

I use a VoIP Philips phone they sell on
... See more
Hola Estefania,

My name is Gonzalez too, by the way, we probably have some common ancestors in prehistoric times considering the number of gonzalez in the world.

I am using exclusively my skype number with my customers for a few years and I did not suffer of any interruption or failure. The connection is rather robust, as I used it in many countries and many conditions. This looks pretty transparent for my customers.

I use a VoIP Philips phone they sell on their shop, so that the skype line is active even when my computer is off. I think it is important if you want to rely exclusively on skype.

Second, better buy a message box too.

And third, check you consumption and consider the offers for specific destinations (though the fares for fixed lines are very cheap).

Other functions I used was the transfer of calls on another number, a mobile when I was in South America, but the quality was not so good. Also, using my units to connect to internet hotspots, did not work bu will try again.

Bye
Claude
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 13, 2011

I have a skype number but I mainly use it to make international calls as it's cheaper than using my mobile/cellphone (I don't have a landline, only wifi internet).
The call quality can vary a lot and sometimes there is background noise when calling moibile or cordless phones, but in general I think it's worthwhile, and I use the goup chat function a lot for queries from colleagues and clients.

NB: Skype doesn't work for all lines, for example some premium rate numbers, and co
... See more
I have a skype number but I mainly use it to make international calls as it's cheaper than using my mobile/cellphone (I don't have a landline, only wifi internet).
The call quality can vary a lot and sometimes there is background noise when calling moibile or cordless phones, but in general I think it's worthwhile, and I use the goup chat function a lot for queries from colleagues and clients.

NB: Skype doesn't work for all lines, for example some premium rate numbers, and comes up as "unknown caller" on some caller ID systems too.

[Edited at 2011-11-13 12:48 GMT]
Collapse

David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but there are better and cheaper options Nov 14, 2011

Hi Estefanía,

I have had a Skype number for a couple years and while I have generally been satisfied with the service, there are less expensive options that work in more places. I have also used services from MyDivert.com and have been generally satisfied (as has been my wallet!).

Good luck.

David

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Experience with Skype online numbers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »