Igor Timko
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:54
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 10, 2013

Dear all,

I work as a freelance translator in the UK.
I plan to apply for an associate membership (ACIL) at the Chartered Institute of Linguists (IoL).
In their instructions (Criteria for Membership, http://www.iol.org.uk/membership/CriteriaforMembershipOct08.pdf), they say that I need to list two referees.
My questions is:
... See more
Dear all,

I work as a freelance translator in the UK.
I plan to apply for an associate membership (ACIL) at the Chartered Institute of Linguists (IoL).
In their instructions (Criteria for Membership, http://www.iol.org.uk/membership/CriteriaforMembershipOct08.pdf), they say that I need to list two referees.
My questions is:
who qualifies as a referee?
For example, would it be enough to indicate a representative (project manager) of a translation agency I work for?

Thank you in advance,
Igor.
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:54
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Contact the IoL Jan 10, 2013

Igor, I suggest you contact the IoL's Membership Dept. You'll find all their information on the website. You can e-mail or ring them. They are always very helpful and usually very prompt with replies.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:54
Danish to English
+ ...
Notes & Instructions for CIOL Membership/Fellowship Application Form Jan 10, 2013

Hi Igor

I recently received the relevant application form and instructions from the CIoL, and they have this to say about referees:

You are required to provide at least 2 referees to support your application.
• Referees should be of responsible position (e.g. your employer, teacher, line-manager,
supervisor, editor, client) and able to comment on your language proficiency and
professional standard.
• Your referees will need to be able to comm
... See more
Hi Igor

I recently received the relevant application form and instructions from the CIoL, and they have this to say about referees:

You are required to provide at least 2 referees to support your application.
• Referees should be of responsible position (e.g. your employer, teacher, line-manager,
supervisor, editor, client) and able to comment on your language proficiency and
professional standard.
• Your referees will need to be able to comment upon use of your language(s) of
qualification, i.e. not your mother tongue, and you should make them aware of this. If we
have not received a reply from your referees after three weeks from contacting them, we
will ask you to provide an alternative referee.
• If you are applying for Membership (MCIL) or Fellowship (FCIL), at least one reference
should, if possible, relate to recent employment.

Good luck!

Gitte
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Applying for ACIL at IoL

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »