https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_uk/271264-moving_to_london_getting_established_there.html

Moving to London - Getting established there?
Thread poster: Victoria Maravi
Victoria Maravi
Victoria Maravi  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 26, 2014

Hey everyone!

My name is Victoria and I'm 23. I'm currently living in Peru, but I just found out I received a scholarship at a uni in London to complete my undergraduate studies (Linguistics & Creative Writing). I'll be moving this September. After I graduate (start of 2016), I'm hoping to do a masters in Translation and Interpreting.

I have about four years of experience doing translations and transcript
... See more
Hey everyone!

My name is Victoria and I'm 23. I'm currently living in Peru, but I just found out I received a scholarship at a uni in London to complete my undergraduate studies (Linguistics & Creative Writing). I'll be moving this September. After I graduate (start of 2016), I'm hoping to do a masters in Translation and Interpreting.

I have about four years of experience doing translations and transcripts from Spanish to English and vice versa. Mostly I have been referenced by friends and/or acquaintances and I haven't heard any complaints, whether it was at a newspaper company, NGO or an individual. Now that I'm moving to London, I don't know how to find clients who might want Spanish-English translators. What can I do to get myself established once I'm there?

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Barbara Bonatti Divers
Barbara Bonatti Divers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:20
English to Italian
join ITI Jun 27, 2014

Dear Viictoria, how exciting, well done!

Join the Institute of Translation and Interpreting without delay and come to the Conference in April in Newcastle, if you can.
As soon as possible go for the Qualified Member status (MITI), to get your name listed on their website. It's a great way to be "found" by clients.
You will also get plenty of practical advice, it really is an invaluable institution.

Keep in touch!

Barbara

Victoria Maravi
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 27, 2014

Hi Barbara! Thanks for replying. I looked at the ITI Webpage and I would love to be a part of it! I don't think I can become a member at the moment because it's a bit costly. Thank you for the suggestion, nonetheless! I'll keep it in mind.

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Register as a self-employed translator first. Jun 27, 2014

It does not matter where you live, as long as you pay taxes. Self-employment and tax system in UK is very easy and not time-consuming. You can then start with updating your resume and sending it to translation agencies all over he world (make sure they are able to pay in GBP without any extra fees involved).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
DELETED Jun 29, 2014

DELETED

[Edited at 2014-06-29 08:41 GMT]

Victoria Maravi
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Natalia Jun 29, 2014

Hey Natalia,

Thanks! I will register as such once I'm there. Is the process done online? I don't know if there are any restrictions for me as a translator, considering I can only work up to 20 hours per week as an international student.

Anyway, thank you very much!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Moving to London - Getting established there?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »