UK VAT after Brexit
Thread poster: Will Kelly

Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Aug 10

Hi all. I'm a UK-based translator supplying B2B (agencies, other direct clients) and B2C customers in the Netherlands. My current understanding is that, as a VAT-registered limited, I need to charge VAT at 20% for B2C and at 0% for B2B.

Brexit is looming, and we still don't know whether or not there will be a deal and how a deal or no-deal scenario will affect things, but it might be useful for us UK-based translators supplying EU countries to pool our thoughts.

The UK
... See more
Hi all. I'm a UK-based translator supplying B2B (agencies, other direct clients) and B2C customers in the Netherlands. My current understanding is that, as a VAT-registered limited, I need to charge VAT at 20% for B2C and at 0% for B2B.

Brexit is looming, and we still don't know whether or not there will be a deal and how a deal or no-deal scenario will affect things, but it might be useful for us UK-based translators supplying EU countries to pool our thoughts.

The UK government's guidance on VAT in a no-deal scenario is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/vat-for-businesses-if-theres-no-brexit-deal.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:48
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
VAT Aug 13

Hi,
I see from various sites that your earnings need to be over £85,000 before registering for VAT.
You must have a very healthy income, I thought my income was high at over £34,000 but at least I don't need to be VAT registered.
Best of luck!
Liz Askew

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
There are benefits to VAT registration Aug 13

liz askew wrote:
I see from various sites that your earnings need to be over £85,000 before registering for VAT.

Liz, you are obliged to register above a certain level of sales, but you can register voluntarily below that level as well.

I registered for a VAT number - at a level far below £85k - because I had EU clients asking me about VAT numbers, and it looked like an easy way to shortcut the "You need a VAT number" / "No I don't" back-and-forth that seems to take place. (VAT numbers are the subject of dozens, if not hundreds of threads on the ProZ forums.)

The other thing is that you can claim VAT back on all purchases. That means a 20% reduction in costs for things like stationery and postage, as well as big-ticket items such as computers, peripherals, laser printers and consumables.

I already record keep track of my accounts, so I spend no more than about 10 minutes every quarter preparing and submitting a VAT report. I consider it time well spent.

Regards,
Dan

Daryo
Mirelluk

Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not compulsory Aug 13

Registration below the threshold isn't compulsory, but you can register voluntarily.

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
EORI Aug 14

Will Kelly wrote:
The UK government's guidance on VAT in a no-deal scenario is here:

I was initially unsure whether I needed to register for an EORI number, but it seems that this is required only for physical goods, not services.

Dan

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

UK VAT after Brexit

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – an SDL product
Modern translation business management for freelancers and agencies

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search