Why did they want foreign driver licenses translated?
Thread poster: jyuan_us

jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:08
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 17, 2015

In the last couple of years I have translated more than 100 Chinese driver licenses into English. Do you have any idea why they need the English version of their driver license? Just curious.

[Edited at 2015-09-17 00:33 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Patrick Porter
United States
Local time: 16:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
one possibility.. Sep 17, 2015

From the terms and conditions of a car rental company:

Driving license printed with non Roman Alphabet (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Cyrillic etc) must be complemented by an International driving licence.
For driving licenses from countries not part of the international driving license treaty, an official translation of the license must be presented with the original license.

Not sure if China is part of an international driving license treaty...but the trend you mention might be related to something along these lines.

OlivierParrot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:08
Member (2012)
Japanese to French
+ ...
In Japan... Sep 17, 2015

... visitors from many countries can drive, all they need is a Japanese translation of their driver's license.
Maybe there's something similar in the US?

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:08
German to English
In Germany ... Sep 17, 2015

I had to have my US driver's license translated in order to exchange it for a German one (I'm a permanent resident here). So whether it's a car rental agency or the DMV, an untranslated license (particularly in Chinese) isn't going to be much use to them.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Why did they want foreign driver licenses translated?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search