https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/163967-mt_tidal_wave_makes_landfall_in_the_world_of_lsps.html

MT Tidal Wave Makes Landfall in the World of LSPs

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "MT Tidal Wave Makes Landfall in the World of LSPs".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

cherin
cherin
Local time: 05:47
English to Japanese
Mar 29, 2010

Thank you for the story.
I wonder what the "advocacy organization Red T" means above. Could anyone kindly explain it to me?

Many people say that Japanese is not well-suited for machine translation, but it may not be true, where the desired quality of translation is "good enough".

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:47
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 27, 2010

a range of MT options finally crossed the chasm from dis-utility (not useful) to utility (good enough).

can confirm that: the quality of google translate (plugged into OmegaT) has lately been matching the quality of my ancillary TMs ... for the English-Slovenian language pair!

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Mar 29, 2010

Red T. is most likely Red Tape. It's a reaction against so of the discussion in LinkedIn and other blogs lately.

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Mar 29, 2010

One the points of caution I would to mention here is that most of the promoters of MT at the ATA and other conference lately are pushing for the Statistical-based MT (SBMT or SMT) systems, for which many cater specificially to large-scale enterprise translation needs. I've been writing a lot in the LinkedIn forums lately about how the different MT system types are applicable to different audiences, depending on the needs. Independent freelance translators need to careful read and listen to the... See more
One the points of caution I would to mention here is that most of the promoters of MT at the ATA and other conference lately are pushing for the Statistical-based MT (SBMT or SMT) systems, for which many cater specificially to large-scale enterprise translation needs. I've been writing a lot in the LinkedIn forums lately about how the different MT system types are applicable to different audiences, depending on the needs. Independent freelance translators need to careful read and listen to these discussion to discern how they can fit into framework of working within any of many different MT workflows

See my Proz profile for links to the discussions where I provide Language Service Provider and Freelancer points of view to the MT developer community (and I've worked in the latter as well).

Jeff
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT Tidal Wave Makes Landfall in the World of LSPs

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »