U.S. Foreign Service needs language skills

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "U.S. Foreign Service needs language skills".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

a05
a05
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 19, 2010

This is most likely true but does not mean languages are not a priority for the Foreign Service. They have a comprehensive system of training, and their recruiting system assumes that they are able to manage their staff's linguistic skills whereas psychological features or general knowledge of anyone past one's 20s are not upgradable. I am not in a position to judge whether they are right or wrong but such is their approach indeed.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 9, 2010

Tell your children to study Arabic and Chinese!

Fabrizio Zambuto
Fabrizio Zambuto  Identity Verified
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Apr 14, 2010

...Farsi, Pashtu and Gujarati as well, they keep posting AD with these language requirements.

Trans-Iberia (X)
Trans-Iberia (X)

Local time: 09:50
Apr 16, 2010

I went through the process to join the American foreign service and they made it very clear that language skills were of absolutely NO importance whatsoever in being selected for the foreign service. When I mentioned that I spoke 4 languages besides English, they brushed it off and made sure that I knew this would practically nothing for my application, as was even explained at the time in the process documentation. The whole Foreign Servcie selection process is based on psychological, organizat... See more
I went through the process to join the American foreign service and they made it very clear that language skills were of absolutely NO importance whatsoever in being selected for the foreign service. When I mentioned that I spoke 4 languages besides English, they brushed it off and made sure that I knew this would practically nothing for my application, as was even explained at the time in the process documentation. The whole Foreign Servcie selection process is based on psychological, organizational and personality-related skills after passing a fairly difficult test on knowledge about history and government.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

U.S. Foreign Service needs language skills

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »