Computers make striking progress in recognizing speech

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Computers make striking progress in recognizing speech".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Carol Chen
Carol Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:22
English to Chinese
News not so good Jun 29, 2010

Actually, I don't think progress in artificial intelligence is good news as it goes against the natural law, which is created by god. : (

Carol Chen
Carol Chen  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:22
English to Chinese
Humanism means a lot Jun 29, 2010

Humanism, or to be exactly, theology, means much more than science and technology. Of course, it is only my opinion. : )

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Humanism vs human-ism Jun 29, 2010

Carol Chen wrote:
Humanism, or to be exactly, theology, means much more than science and technology.

Yes, but this article is not about humanism (the school of thought) but about human-ism (computers becoming more human). Humanism and human-ism are not related, despite the fact that they look similar in the English language.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
HMm Jun 29, 2010

Carol Chen wrote:

Actually, I don't think progress in artificial intelligence is good news as it goes against the natural law, which is created by god. : (

Since God is the Creator of everything, artificial intelligence is also created by God. Science and technology too- and everything else. Including ambiguity.

The next step forward will be to make other humans obey instructions, the way computers do

[Edited at 2010-06-29 12:26 GMT]

Lianne Wilson
Lianne Wilson
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:22
Japanese to English
+ ...
HMm Jun 30, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

The next step forward will be to make other humans obey instructions, the way computers do

Humans obey exactly the way computers do, i.e., as long as you press the right buttons.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Computers make striking progress in recognizing speech

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »