New tool for replacing texts in multiple files

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "New tool for replacing texts in multiple files".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:09
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Funduc Search & Replace Jul 9, 2010

Funduc has a similar software which isn't free, but it deals with more file formats (from what I can tell). Been using it for many years, and it has saved me a lot of time.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
dfsvc.exe Jul 9, 2010

Installing this tool (NeoReplace) causes a program called 'dfsvc.exe' to attempt to access the internet. Does anyone know what this means? It looks like 'dfsvc.exe' is part of the .net install sequence, but I can't be too certain. Why can't the tool just install without phoning home first?

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Won't use. Jul 9, 2010

The concept is enticing, but...

I'm well sorted for tools that can replace stuff in txt and html files so I won't need it for that.

As to Office files, I don't think attacking them with a 3rd party tool is that great of an idea... Plustools worked nicely a couple of times for me, and then it corrupted my files a couple of times. Ouch. Word files can produce enough problems even if you only ever touch them with Word, so I'm not going to introduce another potential probl
... See more
The concept is enticing, but...

I'm well sorted for tools that can replace stuff in txt and html files so I won't need it for that.

As to Office files, I don't think attacking them with a 3rd party tool is that great of an idea... Plustools worked nicely a couple of times for me, and then it corrupted my files a couple of times. Ouch. Word files can produce enough problems even if you only ever touch them with Word, so I'm not going to introduce another potential problem source. The shady internet connection issue just reaffirms me in this.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:09
German to English
Another vote for Funduc Search & Replace Jul 9, 2010

I've been using this for a few years and have never had a problem. I've found that it can make changes in Zip files, so care must be taken when they're in the same directory as the files requiring changes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New tool for replacing texts in multiple files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »