Six freelancing dreams examined

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Six freelancing dreams examined".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Well Translated
United States
Local time: 00:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Freelancers dream on Aug 10, 2010

Well, according to the Freelancer's Union, close to a third of the workforce is freelancing. This is clearly not a fad, but the wave of the future.
I love your list Romina...but some of those dreams have yet to materialize for me. Though, while reading the list, it seemed like some of those dreams read more like myths.

1. As a freelancer, I will work fewer hours. Only if I were to earn what my highest client is currently willing to pay me.

2. As a freelancer, I will take only those projects I like. Not so fast. After 5 years, I still need to commit to less than ideal ones from time to time. Therefore, the need to specialize and concentrate.

3. As a freelancer, I won’t have to deal with difficult people. Dream or myth? You mean, Project Managers at large LSPs, right? I believe difficult people are part of the challenge and I've embraced that as well.

4. I’ll be able to jump right into freelancing and replace my full-time income immediately. Dream or myth? Hold on to your full or part-time paid gig until you have everything in place.

5. Before you can become a freelancer, you need tons of experience. Dream or myth? Not really...but it sure as hell helps!

6. As a freelancer, I will hire others to do the most difficult tasks for me. Not the most difficult but the ones where you feel you are less competent. Get a coach and/or mentor...and of course leave the books to a professional Accountant. If you are ready for a Website, contract a Graphic Designer. Better to spend the money there than elsewhere.

To this list I would like to add just one additional dream...the immense gratification that comes from owning your own business and destiny. To hold, envision, and make your dream a reality. And, to be able to say to corporate America, I don't need to adhere to some (or most) of your ridiculous rules, sacrifices, and nonsense.

[Edited at 2010-08-10 00:35 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:09
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My not-yet-fulfilled dreams!? Aug 11, 2010

Well Translated wrote:
1. As a freelancer, I will work fewer hours. Only if I were to earn what my highest client is currently willing to pay me.
2. As a freelancer, I will take only those projects I like. Not so fast. After 5 years, I still need to commit to less than ideal ones from time to time. Therefore, the need to specialize and concentrate.
3. As a freelancer, I won’t have to deal with difficult people. Dream or myth? You mean, Project Managers at large LSPs, right? I believe difficult people are part of the challenge and I've embraced that as well.
4. I’ll be able to jump right into freelancing and replace my full-time income immediately. Dream or myth? Hold on to your full or part-time paid gig until you have everything in place.
5. Before you can become a freelancer, you need tons of experience. Dream or myth? Not really...but it sure as hell helps!
6. As a freelancer, I will hire others to do the most difficult tasks for me. Not the most difficult but the ones where you feel you are less competent. Get a coach and/or mentor...and of course leave the books to a professional Accountant. If you are ready for a Website, contract a Graphic Designer. Better to spend the money there than elsewhere.

I intentionally selected the freelance career. My requirements and dreams were:

1. As a freelancer, I will not drive on heavy traffic congestion just to work with the worst productivity.
2. As a freelancer, I will enjoy reading and learning new topics I like with payment of clients.

3. As a freelancer, I will selectively deal with learnt people who adore my jobs.
4. As a freelancer, I will achieve in very much larger amounts than my monthly employment pay.

5. As a freelancer, I will exploit my experience for whom exactly and badly in need of it, and for social goodness, while most people never recognize my skill.
6. As a freelancer, I will avoid hiring someone whom I cannot control over job quality, delivery, wage etc.

And 7. As a freelancer, I will spend more time happily with my family.
Those have been fulfilled except for No. 7, my young son was always irritating when I could not take him to bed with many joking folklore tales!

Best regards,
Soonthon L.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:09
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Financial matter? Aug 11, 2010

Will we not have dream on financial matter? I think that a good motivation to seek a career is s viewpoint on payment.

Best regards,
Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Six freelancing dreams examined

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search