Rio de Janeiro state in Brazil sets up grammar hotline to help people who have difficulties using Portuguese

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Rio de Janeiro state in Brazil sets up grammar hotline to help people who have difficulties using Portuguese".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

xxxblomguib  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:15
English to Flemish
+ ...
another pathetic gesture Aug 18, 2010

Living in BR, I am appalled on a daily basis by the lack of "basic knowledge" of people here, be it when using Portuguese or when trying to carry out basic sums (just came back from the petrol station where the lady behind the desk inside didn´t know how to write "124" in numbers (for paying by CC) when I told her that I needed to pay "one hundred and twenty four reais.....)
BR is the country of appearances and of non-solutions; why bother trying to solve a problem at the base ( by providing decent schooling) if you can maintain a situation (in which 75% of the population cannot read a sentence and know what they have actually read!) that benefits some. The last official statistics I saw for the area outside the city I live in (3 million inhabitants), said that 49% of the population was "analphabet". Knowing that one is considered alphabetized when one can (more or less) write one´s name, I don´t think I need to make an additional drawing....The majority of the population here is not capable of reading (let alone interpreting) a letter from the bank, from the official instances, etc.....They are being litterally robbed empty legally.

So please, forgive me that when the article mentions that the hotline answers questions concerning syntax, word formation, and verb and noun agreement, I feel an irresistible urge to burst out laughing....A hotline?.... provided of course that the telephone system works long enough for people to be able to reach the hotline and carry out a conversation that is understandable, which in itself is already not that evident.....

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:15
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Education background Aug 19, 2010

The news did not say how those people failed to communicate correctly in their native speaking language. Are they work immigrants? Now compulsory education in each country should fulfill basic requirements on the native language very well.

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

xxxblomguib  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:15
English to Flemish
+ ...
Education background Aug 19, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Now compulsory education in each country should fulfill basic requirements on the native language very well.

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

This is what I find VERY difficult to explain to people who don´t live in this country and who don´t know how things work here, or better don´t work here....basic education is only compulsory in theory and then only 4 hours a day....in practice the majority of the children don´t go to school or irregularly (with the exception of the rich who can afford monthly school fees per child amounting to twice the minimum salary)...moreover, the majority of people don´t seem to grasp the importance of education....this country thrives on "assistance"....The basic education here is such that large part of the population is not capable of reading and writing (and I don´t even mean writing decent Portuguese; writing anything would already be quite an achievement), and when they can read, this doesn´t mean that they actually understand and interpret what they are reading; they are reading words.....no coherence....no interpretation....the latter is part of what I call "intellectual lack of courage" or (when I am having a bad day) "being intellectually lazy"; because "interpreting " something implies own input, own responsibility and that is something almost NOBODY here is willing to take. It is far easier and far safer to let responsibility be taken by somebody else....Very disappointing.....

Apparently, however, this depicted situation is typical for the North-East; in the South of BR things (and people) appear to be completely different.....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rio de Janeiro state in Brazil sets up grammar hotline to help people who have difficulties using Portuguese

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search