According to a SDL survey the use of automated translation is increasing

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "According to a SDL survey the use of automated translation is increasing".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 00:12
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My strategy Aug 22, 2010

I use automated translation technique for languages with keyboard operation difficulty e.g. Chinese, Japanese. Those language need conversion of Roman letters of keyboard into target fonts. Automated translation makes me significantly better productivity and less jobs for editing. The key point is splitting the source segment into many simple sentences for more exact translation. This enable easy word replacement with human intervention/editing skills. Of course, Japanese grammar structures are mostly opposite to those of English and final sentence patterns are adjusted by me accordingly.

Many of my clients also recheck certain words by using Google Translate before coming back to me for confirmation.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-08-22 03:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrew Poloyan
Local time: 20:12
Russian to English
+ ...
True, but.. Sep 24, 2010

According to common sense and working experience the use of automated translation is often merely increasing the time you spend cleaning up or rewriting the target after an automatic tool twists it into something primitive, clumsy or unreadable. While CATs are indispensable for quality control, TM recycling and automation of plain repetitive tasks, an attempt to use them as a replacement for human translators is - and always will be a failure.
I may understand why SDL keeps reporting progress in that area and LSP are so enthusiastic about it, but most people in this business know the limitations of the best tools. If it needs human assistance and post-editing to look decent, then it's not automated nearly enough to meet the lowest quality standards. So announcing that automated translation has evolved sufficiently to replace even a proofreader (not to mention a translator) would be self-deception in the best case. So far these tools tend to add just as much work as they take off our shoulders and sometimes they take years to start showing their advantages. So people at SDL need not tell us so persistently that their software is improving quality while reducing labour costs. When it actually does - we'll be the first to notice that.

[Edited at 2010-09-24 19:21 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

According to a SDL survey the use of automated translation is increasing

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search