The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) looks to hire Ebonics translators to help interpret wiretapped conversations in drug cases

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) looks to hire Ebonics translators to help interpret wiretapped conversations in drug cases".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:46
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Encoded Ebonics? Aug 25, 2010

In many drug trafficking cases, men involved will use special encoded languages to hide actual crime scenes. This is another burden to Ebonics translators since skill of decoding words are required. I met with this very dangerous situation in Thailand while assisting the police to trace local amphetamine drug traffickers comprising multi-nationals (Thai, Europeans and Africans).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ebonics Aug 25, 2010

Lordy how I hate that word. Sounds like a piece of wood. Do Black people actually put up with it? Not only that, but rendering a language as a plural sticks in my craw as well. It just don't make no sense.

Signed, Speaker of Germanics, Hispanics, Britannics, and Gallics. Ack.

Sebastian Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:46
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
There is actually a song where you can learn Ebonics from a "native speaker" Aug 25, 2010

It is by late New Yorkan rap icon Big L. I bet he ain't learned to speak Ebonics from the books ... maybe he was in "the biz" himself prior to becoming an emcee ... like many a gifted child ...

Peak the lyrics: http://www.elyrics.net/read/b/big-l-lyrics/ebonics-lyrics.html

I cannot it put it on here because of the forum rules (some bad language).

Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:46
Danish to English
"Looks to hire"? Aug 25, 2010

maibee sum ebonics speeker rote that tue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) looks to hire Ebonics translators to help interpret wiretapped conversations in drug cases

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search