Foreign language learning in severe decline in UK

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Foreign language learning in severe decline in UK".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:44
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Inversely relative instances in other countries Aug 26, 2010

Partly owing to extensive English usage in computing devices and Internet, non-English speakers need to master English more deeply. For instance in Japan and Thailand, yearly budgets spent on English tutorials are climbing, and advanced learning aids are being installed. Expensive school fees are seen in bilingual or international student schools that grow the numbers yearly. Higher per capita income makes local people have more access to English speaking movies, fictions, songs, commodities. Rich families send their children to study in New Zealand, Australia, UK or USA to enhance English proficiency. I observe that escalating numbers of UK instructors for the Imperial English language are recorded in Thai Ministry of Education. I recently enjoyed the English hearing education program in satellite TV where I did not expect 40 years ago. I think that UK is blessed for its native language, and its experts on this subject can be exported more globally to improve this international language.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:44
Italian to English
+ ...
English is the "international language" BUT... Aug 26, 2010

The UK is part of Europe and Europe is a multi-cultural continent with many languages and cultures. Languages reflect cultures and we can benefit greatly from understanding more about the countries that form part of the European Union and Europe as a continent - that the UK is part of. I think it's really important for children in the UK to learn a foreign language to gain some insight into different cultures that are close by. I also think that the UK can sometimes feel isolated from Europe, not just because geographically it is formed of islands and learning a foreign language might help in feeling part of the continent by being able to communicate with people from different countries and going on holidays to different countries.

I grew up in Australia and studied French for 8 years. I always got really good marks in all my French exams, but when I first went to France when I was 14 on a school trip, I couldn't understand people's accents, they spoke so quickly! We had been studying "dans ma chambre il y a un lit, une armoire..." for about 8 years. I also think that bad teaching methods have an impact on young people's will to learn foreign languages.

In my opinion, the UK needs to make more of an effort in terms of foreign language learning.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Foreign language learning in severe decline in UK

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search