The Texas Association of Healthcare Interpreters and Translators launches video to raise awareness about the importance of hiring professional interpreters

Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
health care Aug 27, 2010

Vested interest, much.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:46
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Medical interpretation Aug 27, 2010

I care for the budget. To obtain a good medical service, will the patient or the hospital pay extra fee for a good interpretator: medical vocabulary translation is not that easy for novice interpretators.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Soonthon, Aug 28, 2010

.. no offence intended, but it's interpreter, not interpretator (I noticed you use it in all your comments). As regards the budget, I know it from my own experience, both in the geographical area and in the field: a tender is organized by a major hospital, local (and out-of-town) agencies bid and you already guessed who wins: the agency with the lowest bid. The funny thing is that all the agencies work with the same limited group of local independent contractors (myself included). There was one time when I had assignments with the same patient but from two different agencies. The second agency won the tender as its bid was lower, accordingly, I got paid less compared to the first one.

shfranke
United States
Local time: 16:46
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hospitals accept a bid for what services they need, not necessarily that of the lowest bidder Aug 29, 2010

Greetings.

May one observe that, at least in California, hospitals and private specialty clinics -- with their understandable care and consideration about the profound, and likely-expensive, liabilities involved with their providing cheap [ergo, sloppy or incompetent] interpreters to support on-site sessions of patient care -- tend to first consider and accept a bid by firms which can provide the reliable and legally-defensible interpreter services they need, which may not necessarily be those offered by the lowest bidder.

The cheapest bidders do **not** always win out over language services firms which offer proven, more-effective, efficient, and legally-suitable interpreter services.

Hospitals and private specialty clinics in general have learned the considerable, and often-expensive, lesson that "you get what you pay for."

Hope this perspective inserts some balance to this growing thread.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
Medical Interpreter and Patient Liaison
English-Arabic, Persian,
and Kurdish [Kurmanci]
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2010-08-29 01:01 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:46
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Talking dictionaries Aug 30, 2010

sokolniki wrote:
.. no offence intended, but it's interpreter, not interpretator (I noticed you use it in all your comments). ------------------ There was one time when I had assignments with the same patient but from two different agencies. The second agency won the tender as its bid was lower, accordingly, I got paid less compared to the first one.

May thank, sokolniki. The exact spelling is already on the news header but my web-based spell checker made me very careless into "interpretators." What a shame as a translator!

Speaking about budget interpretation service, I give you another example in the other part of the world. Old tourists come to Bangkok for medical checkup with lower free, and a promotional event of tour organizers. On initial stages, many good interpreters were hire. But escalating numbers of tourist make a shortage in supply of the language service personnel. Now many hospitals are using many talking dictionaries to help doctors communicating with foreign patients.
Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Texas Association of Healthcare Interpreters and Translators launches video to raise awareness about the importance of hiring professional interpreters

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search