Quebec creating new system to determine English schooling

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Quebec creating new system to determine English schooling".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:09
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
A Good initiative Aug 29, 2010

I read this news many time. The contents indicates well how to effectively manage with English as the second language study in any other countries.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Direct link Reply with quote

Mårten Engelberg  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:09
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
In what way? Aug 29, 2010

Hello khun-Soonthon,

Don't you think this particular development might be more connected to English as a _first_ language?

Not knowing anything much about the situation in other countries, I would guess that it's relatively rare for English to be seen as a threat to the respective majority languages there, nor to expect state-paid education in their (minority) language (even though I know there are examples of the latter). But I love to know more about this.

All the best,
Mårten

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:09
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Never a threat Aug 30, 2010

Dear Mårten. I am sorry If I have confused you with my comments. I never feel English a threat to other majority languages. All non-English speaking countries spend large amount of budgets and resources to improve their English level (the case in Canada is not) since English is the international tongue even on this Internet. I specially admire the Philippines and Singapore (near my home country) on their commanding English proficiency. Most former countries in the British Commonwealth have good exposure to English. This is good for their higher educational system and activities. But majority of local (and ethnic) people are still have limited opportunities to master English e.g. in India. That is, English in very corners of the world has its own features yet to be harmonized.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quebec creating new system to determine English schooling

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search