Google announces ergonomic changes to Google Translate

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Google announces ergonomic changes to Google Translate".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:14
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
New algorithm for machine translation Sep 1, 2010

"A video on the page explains how statistical translation works and does it in a manner that non-technical users can understand."

In Proz forum, we recently discuss about roles of Google Translates toward translators. I asserted that it will enhance our productivity if being used skillfully. I hope this refreshed ergonomics of Google will promote jobs of both translation users and service providers who are we the translators.
Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-09-01 13:49 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
More difficult to use Sep 1, 2010

I noticed this today, yes. The new design makes it more difficult to copy the translated text to the clipboard.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:14
French to English
+ ...
Erm... Sep 1, 2010

Am I the only one failing to see what all the big fuss is about...?

Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:14
English to Dutch
+ ...
Google Translate changed? So what? Sep 1, 2010

Neil Coffey wrote:

Am I the only one failing to see what all the big fuss is about...?

Not really, Neil, there are at least two of us icon_confused.gif. It doesn't worry me at all, to be honest. The best translation tool is the one between our ears, all other tools are helpful at best (Google Translate does have it's uses).

I still have major problems with Google storing and reproducing the translated terms whenever that translation is asked, because I strongly feel they hitching a ride on our backs with that practice.

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Turkey
Local time: 03:14
Turkish to English
+ ...
GOOGLE IS OK Sep 2, 2010

I find Google useful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google announces ergonomic changes to Google Translate

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search