Ukrainian opposition calls on parliament to spurn language bill

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Ukrainian opposition calls on parliament to spurn language bill".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Nick Golensky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:17
English to Russian
+ ...
I am myself a Russian speaker. Sep 22, 2010

I guess it is a common experience among countries all over the world. It is funny, for example Switzerland has several (4) official languages but nobody doesn't feel pity about it. And should they?

[Edited at 2010-09-22 06:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-22 10:31 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:17
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
None of my business, but... Sep 22, 2010

Belarus has made Russian the other official language, and you can see the results here: http://www.proz.com/translation-news/?p=13018.

I have nothing against Russian and the bill, if passed, would probably also promote my mother tongue, Polish as a minority language. However, in the case of Belarus and Ukraine, whose languages are so closely related to both Russian and Polish, and which historically have been under a strong Russian and Polish influence, the native languages should enjoy better support for a longer period, before other languages are given equal status. Of course, as long as the residents actually care.

Oleksandr Myslivets  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
The time has come Sep 22, 2010

"the native languages should enjoy better support for a longer period, before other languages are given equal status"

My native language is Russian. So, it must enjoy better support, isn't it?:-)

There is no need in support for this or that language or what is the language that needs permanent support? Ukrainian was, is and will be but it doesn't mean that there is a need to press Russian and Russian-speakers, or such pressing could change the situation to this or that side. It leads only to poor Russian spelling of Russian-speakers. Is it good for Ukrainian? NO!

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:17
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Native languages Sep 22, 2010

Of course, "native languages" wasn't the best choice of words. Also, I don't expect Russian speakers from Ukraine to be against Russian as an official language. All I'm saying is that if in the past Ukrainian and Belarusian had had equal opportunities with Russian and Polish, those languages would be strong enough today to coexist with other official languages in the respective countries. Belarusian definitely isn't, Ukrainian - I don't know.
We have a global economy dominated by the English language. New products, concepts, ideas, procedures, titles and so on, regardless of their place of origin, usually arrive from abroad, and are localized. Foreign companies don't even bother to localize into Belarusian, because they can officially reuse Russian versions. That, in turn, makes Belarusian even more out of date, because new vocabulary is not incorporated and used on a daily basis. And the same could easily happen in Ukraine.

Dmitrie Highduke  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:17
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Source Sep 26, 2010

RIA Novosti is not the most trustworthy source...

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:17
German to English
+ ...
Agree w/ Adam Sep 27, 2010

+1 Adam about your comments. I agree that if the other languages (and you could extend that list to Latvian, Lithuanian, Estonian, etc.) had also been on fair footing all along, the situation would perhaps be different.

[Edited at 2010-09-27 01:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ukrainian opposition calls on parliament to spurn language bill

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search