How interpreters at the UN get the message across when faced with a runaway speaker

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "How interpreters at the UN get the message across when faced with a runaway speaker".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:29
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My doubt Sep 23, 2010

In many simultaneous interpretation venues, many interpreters standby to take charge in turn. I wonder why the UN cannot hire more interpreters to spare the job. I personally cannot interpret continuously for 1 hour and longer.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Direct link Reply with quote

Kipale78
Italy
Local time: 12:29
English to Italian
+ ...
well Sep 23, 2010

the article says that Gheddafi insisted on using his own interpreter, not the UN service.

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Maybe tell the politician to summarise their viewpoints Sep 26, 2010

These politicians are rich enough to pay for several interpreters. Rather work for Translators without Borders or Medecins sans frontieres than established dictators, even without pay.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How interpreters at the UN get the message across when faced with a runaway speaker

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search