https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/182012-seventy_percent_of_the_books_read_in_argentina_are_translations_but_the_profession_is_not_highly_recognized_source_in_spanish.html

Seventy percent of the books read in Argentina are translations but the profession is not highly recognized (source in Spanish)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Seventy percent of the books read in Argentina are translations but the profession is not highly recognized (source in Spanish)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Grosso
Grosso
Argentina
Local time: 22:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hope for a change Oct 4, 2010

It's sadly true, but let's hope we can find a way to change this. From what I've been reading, translators have become aware of this and want to change this reality. I trust this will happen. All the best

Gabriela Rosso

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 02:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
The situation in the UK is the opposite Oct 5, 2010

In the UK some 3% of the around 120,000 books published every year are in translation. A terribly low figure. Here, instead, we need to lobby to see more books from around the world published in translation.

I think the profession enjoys higher recognition here, and the Translators Association of the Society of Authors does sterling work in pushing for decent rates for book translators.

Is there a similar organisation in Argentina?

It is up to us professio
... See more
In the UK some 3% of the around 120,000 books published every year are in translation. A terribly low figure. Here, instead, we need to lobby to see more books from around the world published in translation.

I think the profession enjoys higher recognition here, and the Translators Association of the Society of Authors does sterling work in pushing for decent rates for book translators.

Is there a similar organisation in Argentina?

It is up to us professionals to work for improvement in both these areas, in our respective countries.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seventy percent of the books read in Argentina are translations but the profession is not highly recognized (source in Spanish)

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »