New CEOs take up their posts in the language services industry

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "New CEOs take up their posts in the language services industry".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:40
English to Dutch
+ ...
Where is SDL heading? Oct 17, 2010

So now the former CEO of Language Weaver, a company solely dedicated to machine translation, has become the CEO of SDL Language Technology. Where will he steer the big, clunky mastodon called SDL Studio? Towards more machine translation integration, perhaps? Will this be in the interest of the individual translator? Are the interests of the individual translator a priority on Mr Tapling's agenda? Something tells me they are not.
Let's keep a close eye on what's next with SDL. If our interests are not sufficiently taken into account in the development of the coming versions Trados/Studio, it might be time to finally abandon what never really was a very translator-oriented software anyway.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:40
French to German
+ ...
A step I already took Dec 6, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
If our interests are not sufficiently taken into account in the development of the coming versions Trados/Studio, it might be time to finally abandon what never really was a very translator-oriented software anyway.

I already took that step when Studio 2009 was released, if only because the marketing campaign of SDL Trados was a bit too unclear for my tastes.
Happily running a cross-platform TEnT since then...icon_smile.gif

monitor  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:40
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Wrong Direction Mar 2, 2011

I absolutely agree with Laurent.
Although still the market Leader, SDL is putting much on stake with it's very last Version.
I have rarely seen such a translator unfriendly Set up & Environment.
We put more and more time into steering the engine rather than actually the core of the matter, i.e. translating.
Me too I am testing other TEnT's.
Marcel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New CEOs take up their posts in the language services industry

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search