https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/187810-government_spending_on_translation_soars_by_40_in_uk.html

Government spending on translation soars by 40% in UK

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Government spending on translation soars by 40% in UK".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Michjo
Michjo
Local time: 07:39
More studies needed; Esperanto singled out unfairly Dec 16, 2010

More money for translators/interpreters!

Seriously, I'd like to see correlation studies with other aspects of British immigration and government. Has immigration risen equally dramatically? If so, what percentage of new immigrats are non-English speakers? Has the proportion changed significantly? How much do immigrants contribute to social problems, and is the contribution proportional to the ability to speak Engli
... See more
More money for translators/interpreters!

Seriously, I'd like to see correlation studies with other aspects of British immigration and government. Has immigration risen equally dramatically? If so, what percentage of new immigrats are non-English speakers? Has the proportion changed significantly? How much do immigrants contribute to social problems, and is the contribution proportional to the ability to speak English or not? Has the crime rate spiked, and if so, how much did non-English speakers contribute to the increase? Are there a lot more foreign visitors than before, and if so, how many of them don't speak English, and how proportionate is their contribution to crime and other social problems? A ton of questions like these and others need to be asked and answered before we point our fingers at anyone in particular. Not that there shouldn't be any pointing, just that we shouldn't until we know who the guilty parties are (if any).

The Esperanto shot in the Daily Express article reveals not only a total lack of understanding of how professional translation/intrepretation works, but a lack of common sense, as well. This same issue came up a couple of years ago in the papers, with Esperanto cited as an example of wasted translation budget. I did some research and, not surprisingly, discovered that the company in question simply lists Esperanto as one of the languages in which it provides services, with translation and interpretation being billed on a per-service basis. I leave it to you to guess how much the government actually paid for Esperanto translation/interpretation (which I'm not saying facetiously - I speak Esperanto, but happen to know that, unfortunately, Esperanto is highly under-represented in the U.K.). No one is being bilked through fraudulent translation and interpretation work in Esperanto, or any other language, for that matter.
Collapse

Hilary Wilson
Hilary Wilson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:39
English to French
+ ...
Daily Express is a right-wing rag! Dec 17, 2010

The Daily Express is a right-wing tabloid, which will use anything it can get its hands on to further its views. It asserts views such as "Immigration is out of control" (http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/46564) and plays in to the hands of the conservative/right (far right) in the UK.

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Daily Express is a right-wing rag! Dec 17, 2010

Hilary Wilson wrote:

The Daily Express is a right-wing tabloid, which will use anything it can get its hands on to further its views. It asserts views such as "Immigration is out of control" (http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/46564) and plays in to the hands of the conservative/right (far right) in the UK.

Indeed - although when I saw the heading I thought it would be the Daily Mail.

Myriam Garcia Bernabe
Myriam Garcia Bernabe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Intriguing figure Dec 19, 2010

As over the years the rates they pay translators/interpreters have consistently gone down but government expenditure has gone up. Maybe there is a parallel universe, after all.

The British press reports on this issue quite regularly in order to outrage the (blue-rinse brigade) public but I am yet to find a reporter who has delved enough to understand the nature of this beast so us linguists are wrongly assumed to be ear
... See more
As over the years the rates they pay translators/interpreters have consistently gone down but government expenditure has gone up. Maybe there is a parallel universe, after all.

The British press reports on this issue quite regularly in order to outrage the (blue-rinse brigade) public but I am yet to find a reporter who has delved enough to understand the nature of this beast so us linguists are wrongly assumed to be earning money by the bucketful. Honestly...

MGB
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Government spending on translation soars by 40% in UK

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »