The second annual Jelly Donut Awards recap the top 5 translation errors of 2010

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The second annual Jelly Donut Awards recap the top 5 translation errors of 2010".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Sara Carboni  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:59
French to Italian
+ ...
Nice article Dec 29, 2010

I really enjoyed it!
It should remind everybody of the importance of a proper translation...

Direct link Reply with quote

MARK ROBERTSON
Local time: 22:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sheepish Dec 29, 2010

My favorite translation howler is an attempted translation of the term "hydraulic ram", which came out as something like "water powered male sheep".

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Extreme translation Dec 31, 2010

Today, my wife and I decided to replace the kitchen microwave oven with a larger one. The few functions have been translated into Spanish (from English, I can tell). Whenever a cooking or heating function period expires, the display shows the word "EXTREMO." This doesn't mean anything else but that somebody took an English-Spanish dictionary and used one of the choices for "End."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The second annual Jelly Donut Awards recap the top 5 translation errors of 2010

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search