Adobe TV launched a volunteer community translation project

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Adobe TV launched a volunteer community translation project".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:03
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Say no to yet another exploitative "Free work for exposure" scam Feb 2, 2011

The Adobe TV Community Translation project is a collaborative endeavor that brings a wide variety of free training, expert tips, inspiration, and information about Adobe products and services to viewers worldwide.

"Collaborative endeavors", initiated by such large for-profit organizations leave no room for a sustainable career for established translators. Exposure is not a professional compensation: if it had not been perfectly clear, the LinkedIn scandal should have clarified this. Will Adobe include this offer in the company portfolio submitted with its application for a good corporate citizenship award?

For one thing: site rules would not allow Adobe to post a job like that on ProZ.com: pro bono job posting is reserved for non-profit organizations.

Attila

[Edited at 2011-02-02 15:32 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Shortsighted scam Feb 3, 2011

Translations and timings are not professional. Translators names are not visible in obvious places.

And even if they were this is a real shame: Powerful Adobe gets even more profitable, tiny translators are deprived of their incomes. This type of "free" market will not last much longer.

Luca

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Say no to yet another exploitative "Free work for exposure" scam Feb 3, 2011

Attila Piróth wrote:

the LinkedIn scandal should have clarified this

Hi Attila, can you please post more details about this?

Andrew Rink  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I guess... Feb 3, 2011

... my budget for Adobe software has just dropped to 0. Odd, that.

Although not too odd, considering that I even use an Acrobat Reader replacement because I don't like bloatware, especially if it populates the startup program list without asking me first. Why do I need to have a program running at all times that helps the computer launch a document viewer anyway? But I digress. "Crowdsourcing" proprietary software is, of course, illegal--but what stops you from considering the alternatives when shopping around? Nothing!

Andrew

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
More about the LinkedIn incident Feb 3, 2011

Hi Luca,

The LinkedIn incident happened over 1.5 years ago, and it is well worth recalling. LinkedIn posted a survey to "improve user experience", and through it asked for professionals to participate in the crowdsourced localization of the site for free ("for fun") or a token payment ("a badge"). This prompted reactions, including lots of blog posts (for example this one), the creation of a LinkedIn group called Translators against Crowdsourcing by Commercial Businesses, an open letter from ATA President Jiri Stejskal - and much more. As a consequence, LinkedIn's creative idea brought them exposure in the New York Times.

LinkedIn is just one such example. The Economists also took this path, and "is regularly translated into Mandarin by groups of unpaid volunteers for the benefit of other readers". (The bold is mine.) Facebook learned the hard way that free translations by a community is prone to serious errors, inconsistencies, or even absuse - just for the kick of it.

A number of such examples, and my views on crowdsourcing makes up the first half of my 50-minute presentation Pro bono work - dos and don'ts for ProZ's 2010 Virtual Conference. The second half deals with pro bono work for humanitarian organizations. In this segment, I consider pro bono work acceptable for professionals - provided translators get much more than exposure.

Best,
Attila

TargamaT  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 20:03
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Negligent, careless, irresponsible, etc. Feb 3, 2011

I tested the Arabic translation, and it was so fanny to read words from left to right! No matter the quality of translation...

[Edited at 2011-02-04 14:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe TV launched a volunteer community translation project

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search