'Unqualified' interpreters working in courts (Canada)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "'Unqualified' interpreters working in courts (Canada)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Comparing it to what is paid elsewhere in the world for this kind of work Mar 16, 2011

I'd say even 35 $ is pitiful.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Indeeed Mar 16, 2011

I would never work as an interpreter for 35$. It is ridiculous. Obviously they don't get qualified interpreters..

Gustavo Martínez
Australia
Local time: 23:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Similar to what happened in Spain Mar 18, 2011

We had a similar case in Spain where the Court Interpretation service was granted to one of the large Spanish private companies (Seprotec).

They had won the tender by dumping prices (as usual) and had quoted prices that no self-respecting interpreter would work for. The result of that was that they hired people (pretty much off the street) to provide the interpretation service. These, of course, were people who had absolutely no qualifications as interpreters, who were not fluent in legal language at best and not fluent in one of their working languages at worst, with the consequence that defendants were absolutely "defenseless". I hear these people were getting paid something like 10€ an hour.

There was even one case where the interpreter did not speak the defendant's language. I can´t remember the specifics, but it was something like they sent a Polish interpreter to provide the service to a Bulgarian defendant.

When the case was made public, the company had the audacity to come out on TV and state that they always use "sworn" translators and interpreters.

Mako Ruan
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
In B.C. Mar 19, 2011

In BC, only interpreters who were certified by our local interpreting program or CTTIC will be on the call list in Provincial court, if I remember correctly, minimum wage for those is $52 (?) and up?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Unqualified' interpreters working in courts (Canada)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search