Translators and interpreters hope royal wedding will highlight profession

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Translators and interpreters hope royal wedding will highlight profession".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Lieselotte Kleinhans
Lieselotte Kleinhans  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:39
English to German
Importance of translators and interpreters for building worldwide relationships Apr 29, 2011

Hopefully, this event will add to people's attention to the importance of the translation and interpretation industry. Every day translators and interpreters around the world contribute to building all kind of relationships, e. g. in businesses or markets. However, only few people seem to understand that a lot of these relationships could not be established without linguists. Nevertheless, I doubt that just this one event will make a difference because translators or interpreters are usually not... See more
Hopefully, this event will add to people's attention to the importance of the translation and interpretation industry. Every day translators and interpreters around the world contribute to building all kind of relationships, e. g. in businesses or markets. However, only few people seem to understand that a lot of these relationships could not be established without linguists. Nevertheless, I doubt that just this one event will make a difference because translators or interpreters are usually not mentioned explicitely. Maybe, the broadcasting companies could make it more obvious to the audience that they rely on the services of this industry.Collapse

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Too busy translating to pay attention to the wedding Apr 30, 2011

There are millions of weddings in the world to be translated, why should we pay attention to this one? Especially when everyone understands English so well nowadays.

Lieselotte Kleinhans
Lieselotte Kleinhans  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
Do we need English translators and interpreters? Apr 30, 2011

@ Trinh Do
If everyone understands English so well nowadays, do we really need English translators and interpreters? Why are we here then?
I think that there are many people who need our industry's services, even if a lot of them understand English. Just to give an example: Why would the authorities request certified translations of certificates? If all of the officials understood English so well, a translation of certificates would not be necessary.
In my opinion the writer of
... See more
@ Trinh Do
If everyone understands English so well nowadays, do we really need English translators and interpreters? Why are we here then?
I think that there are many people who need our industry's services, even if a lot of them understand English. Just to give an example: Why would the authorities request certified translations of certificates? If all of the officials understood English so well, a translation of certificates would not be necessary.
In my opinion the writer of the article is right. Our services need to gain more attention in public and maybe celebrations like the royal wedding could contribute to this.
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Didn't bother with interpreters this time May 1, 2011

For the Charles & Camilla wedding, Spanish TV employed interpreters to interpret the ceremony. They actually remained silent for most of it as they were unable to interpret what was being said. I was surprised because it wasn't actually that difficult. So this time round, for the Kate & William wedding they just didn't have interpreters. All through the religious service, the TV presenters just commented on the dress and who had paid for what.

Interpreters only have themselves to b
... See more
For the Charles & Camilla wedding, Spanish TV employed interpreters to interpret the ceremony. They actually remained silent for most of it as they were unable to interpret what was being said. I was surprised because it wasn't actually that difficult. So this time round, for the Kate & William wedding they just didn't have interpreters. All through the religious service, the TV presenters just commented on the dress and who had paid for what.

Interpreters only have themselves to blame for this one.
Collapse

Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not so! May 1, 2011

Trinh Do wrote:

Especially when everyone understands English so well nowadays.

Holland would be one country where it could be said that the population has a good understanding of the English language. However, that does not say that most of the population could translate a corporate or technical document.

The recent tragic shooting in Alphen aan den Rijn was covered extensively by Sky News in the UK. Throughout the coverage, they used an interpreter for amongst other things, eye witness accounts and the Mayor's press releases.

Well I hope the young lady in question isn't a ProZ member reading this, because not only was her interpreting wide of the mark, but she seemed to be making up her own story as she went along. I'm not blaming her, but I am blaming Sky News as nowadays there is no excuse for using someone who was clearly out of her depth.

The translation in to English of the Alphen official municipal website covering the tragedy was dire, and I had the impression that it had been done by some guy in a bar somewhere.

Does this highlight our profession? Speaking very good English is clearly not a qualification for translating in to the English language. Which is why native speakers are preferred.

Horses for courses and all that!

Andrea Teltemann
Andrea Teltemann  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
It's a pity May 2, 2011

Personally I think it is a pity that so many people in the world watched the wedding but probably didn’t understand (or understood just parts of) the sermon and the prayers during the ceremony.

In Germany where I live, there was an interpretation of the sermon during the TV show (at least on one of the various channels showing the event). The interpretation was okay, but could have been much better (either they didn’t employ a professional interpreter, and/or the text of the sermo
... See more
Personally I think it is a pity that so many people in the world watched the wedding but probably didn’t understand (or understood just parts of) the sermon and the prayers during the ceremony.

In Germany where I live, there was an interpretation of the sermon during the TV show (at least on one of the various channels showing the event). The interpretation was okay, but could have been much better (either they didn’t employ a professional interpreter, and/or the text of the sermon was not given in advance to the interpreter).

Regrettable…
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators and interpreters hope royal wedding will highlight profession

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »