One Hour transcription

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "One Hour transcription".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:17
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not easy. Jun 2, 2011

Transcription is not an easy task.
And you don't need a translator to do it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:17
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Misrepresentation? Jun 2, 2011

Their website says:
Translators are native-speaking certified professionals. We provide high quality professional translation services. Quality is guaranteed using our patented Collective Quality Reviews system.

So at a rate of 11 US$ cents in my main language pair for what they call an "expert translation" (basically they use someone who is familiar with the terminology), and assuming they are not a non-profit organisation, how much do they pay the "expert certified professionals"? 6 or 7 cents?

I doubt there are "expert certified professionals" working for that rate and stopping all other work and duties to take care of 1,000 words in 4,5 hours, so my impression is that they could be marketing a level of expertise they do not have among their translators.

Susana González Tuya
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
not perfect but helpful Jun 3, 2011

They pay translators $0.05 per word for general translation and $0.09 for expert translation, Which I must say is higher than the rates offered bu many outsources here.

Translations usually are not very long and although the system is not perfect, it helps me to add a few $ at the end of the month.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Concerns about the rate versus quality Jun 3, 2011

The actual web site for the transcription work is:
http://www.onehourtranslation.com/transcription/

They charge clients €0.782 / minute for transcription. This is the opposite of what is commonly known in the industry, namely that transcription jobs commonly take up to 10 times *longer* per unit than translation.

apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, but with free reviews only. Jun 3, 2011

Susana González wrote:

They pay translators $0.05 per word for general translation and $0.09 for expert translation, Which I must say is higher than the rates offered bu many outsources here.

Translations usually are not very long and although the system is not perfect, it helps me to add a few $ at the end of the month.

that's... only half of the truth, unfortunately. some time ago they started with a review system that expects translators to deliver work for free in order to get a chance to get paid work at all.

btw - just coincidentally - this (now almost a year old) thread here might be interesting for some of you interested in that topic:

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/174235-would_you_offer_translation_reviews_for_free_to_an_agency.html

---

short edit: oh, and btw they patented comment fields. according to their page also around a year ago.
so, Henry: watch out! you probably soon owe them some bucks. I mean, this here is a comment field, right?

[Edited at 2011-06-03 15:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One Hour transcription

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search