Top 3 useful foreign languages for business excludes Spanish

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Top 3 useful foreign languages for business excludes Spanish ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:47
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Turkish Sep 3, 2011

I am surprised to see Turkish in there. Maybe it is time that Amazon carries some Turkish titles.

Direct link Reply with quote

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
A question from a stranger Sep 3, 2011

Is it correct to say that the ASL is a foreign or "other than English" (quote from the MLA survey) sign system?

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:47
French to English
+ ...
But... be aware of how the ranking is actually produced Sep 3, 2011

[ The actual ranking is here http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/roQIgEa4jm3w -- it's a shame you feel the need to report the silly nonsense article from ABC News that adds no actual value rather than something closer to the source... ]

As I understand, the ranking was produced by arbitrarily taking these various factors (number of countries, GDP, internet users etc), taking a ranking by each factor and summing each country's ranking. I see no motivation for the rationale behind the choice of factors or how they were weighted-- in fact, I don't think they were weighted at all, so that having two more countries speaking your language then the country 2 down from you in that ranking gives you an equal advantage to having 10 times the GDP of a country two rankings below you.

And they're quite crude factors in any case. When you look at the data, Spanish-speakings countries have almost twice the GDP of Arabic-speaking countries, and Spanish-speaking countries rank roughly the same or higher on various other scores. The main factor where Arabic countries score higher is on % GDP going on imports/exports (though the actual amount of money involved works out roughly the same: they have a higher % of a smaller GDP). So you'd really need to drill down into WHAT is being imported/exported, and what value of that import/export is specifically added by translation.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it's not clear how this ranking reliably calculates the actual "business value" of given languages, so be careful how much you read into it.

[Edited at 2011-09-03 15:38 GMT]

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
a proposal Sep 6, 2011

Neil Coffey wrote:
"it's not clear how this ranking reliably calculates the actual "business value" of given languages"

Agree, and would like to add that really objective ranking should be confirmed by the horoscope for covered period. (i am serious [almost]) For that, an authoritative rating of horoscopes would be useful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Top 3 useful foreign languages for business excludes Spanish

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search