Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
40 Days of Prayer for the Bibleless World starts today

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "40 Days of Prayer for the Bibleless World starts today".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

#JuliaC#  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
German to Italian
+ ...
Well.. Probably they could post a job on proz... Sep 19, 2011

I think there would be plenty of translators ready to cope with this huge job))

Direct link

Dave Bindon  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:59
Member (2010)
Greek to English
Personally... Sep 19, 2011

...I think that providing access to adequate clean water, food, healthcare and education should take precedence over the translation of a book.

[Edited at 2011-09-19 20:56 GMT]

Direct link

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
hmmm, really? Sep 19, 2011

Dave Bindon wrote:
...I think that providing access to adequate clean water, food, healthcare and education should take precedence over the translation of a book.

Exactly!

Direct link

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:59
Swedish to English
+ ...
With both Dave and Ewa Sep 19, 2011

Dave Bindon wrote:

When I saw the topic I thought it actually meant "for a Bibleless World" as stated rather than "for a Biblefull World".

Direct link

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Quite Sep 19, 2011

I agree with the above posters - but @Giulia: think of the Kudoz questions that it would generate!

Direct link

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
invasive Sep 19, 2011

I'd better not say what I think.

[Edited at 2011-09-19 23:11 GMT]

Direct link

Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
a thought Sep 19, 2011

'Only 457 language communities actually have access to the New Testament in their heart language. In total, about 340 million people do not have translations of the Word–or even projects started–in their heart language.'

Thank heaven for small mercies...
oops!

Direct link

Cristian Sălăjan  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:59
French to Romanian
+ ...
Walk the talk Sep 20, 2011

Dave, why not consider going someplace to help drill a fountain? The Bible never lands anywhere without the deepest care for people. What would your patron, St. Jerome, say?

Cheers.

Direct link

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Seconded Sep 20, 2011

Cristian Sălăjan wrote:

Dave, why not consider going someplace to help drill a fountain? The Bible never lands anywhere without the deepest care for people. What would your patron, St. Jerome, say?

Cheers.

I am with Cristian on this one.

Direct link

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Think of it as part of a chain reaction Sep 20, 2011

Dave Bindon wrote:
I think that providing access to adequate clean water, food, healthcare and education should take precedence over the translation of a book.

True, but not all people are eager to do charity work purely for the sake of it. Some people require ulterior motives before they succumb to the plea to help. Many christians are unwilling to perform charitable acts unless their religion is attached to it. Having a book like the Bible translated into the language of a needy group of people will help get more christians involved in charitable work among those people, because they can do it under the guise of missionary work.

So translating a book may not be worthwhile by itself, but what matters is what the translation will eventually lead to.

Direct link

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Looking at the flip side... Sep 20, 2011

"50 indigenous tribes who had no access to the Gospel"

- but who probably had (past tense) unique and intricate belief systems of their own...

A perfect example of how translation isn't always a positive force in the world. There's definitely something to be said for non-proselytizing religions.

It's funny how people cry foul when a monolithic language like English condemns minority languages to linguistic oblivion, but when a monolithic religion like Christianity condemns a minority culture to cultural oblivion, then these cries are hushed to a whisper.

Won't be a popular opinion I'm sure, but a valid one nonetheless.

[Edited at 2011-09-20 09:36 GMT]

Direct link

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
not translation news Sep 20, 2011

Hello,
Some of the articles from Wycliffe are probably translation news, this is certainly not: I get 11 hits for "pray*". (Considering the content, it seems fair to attribute the 8 hits for "transl*" to SEO.)

Please don't publish things like this in the future.

Sincerely,
Michael

Direct link

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Archbishop Tutu Sep 20, 2011

I am reminded of something Archbishop Desmond Tutu said:

"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray'. We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land."

Direct link

#JuliaC#  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
@Tom Sep 20, 2011

This has happened too many times... and unfortunately it continues to happen..:((

Direct link

Damian Harrison
Germany
German to English
In what way is this meaningful or relevant to the professional translation community? Sep 20, 2011

I just fail to see the news value in this. Some closer vetting of articles would be in order.

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

40 Days of Prayer for the Bibleless World starts today

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search