International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Gaelic 'should be main language' of Western Isles

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Gaelic 'should be main language' of Western Isles".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
More Gaelic please. Oct 21, 2011

I agree. The more Gaelic is spoken and used the better.

George Hopkins
Local time: 17:51
Swedish to English
Main language Oct 21, 2011

The main language is always the language spoken by the people.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
More Gaelic please ... but in moderation Oct 21, 2011

Mihailolja wrote:
The more Gaelic is spoken and used the better.

As a Scot of the keelie or lowland variety, I agree but with reservations. I don't share the view that it should be "the main" official language of the area. The technological solution suggested by the spokesperson would be expensive, yet only necessary if they press ahead with the initiative, which in the current economic climate seems rather profligate.

(keelie: an urban ruffian; lower-class town or city dweller, esp Glaswegian.)

[Edited at 2011-10-21 11:22 GMT]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The best technical solution at meetings is probably a human interpreter... Oct 23, 2011

As one who used to love the BBC Gaelic news on the radio just for the music of the language, I can only agree that it should be spoken and kept alive... (I was only able to follow by catching the names of the politicians!)

But given the stories I have seen recently about attempts with automatic translation of Welsh, and the results of technology used to translate other languages I know, I suspect the human brain is not only unsurpassed, but the only adequate means of translating reliably from Gaelic to other languages.

Give interpreters microphones, and let translators use IT and CAT tools where appropriate... But keep the technology in its place!

icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gaelic 'should be main language' of Western Isles

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search