https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/211405-cost_in_translation_%C2%A325_million_a_year_paid_for_interpreters_at_crown_court.html

Cost in translation: £25 million a year paid for interpreters at crown court

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Cost in translation: £25 million a year paid for interpreters at crown court ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:26
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Waste of time reporting this newspaper. Nov 7, 2011

The Daily Mail, its bias against foreigners is legendary, it's such a pathetic newspaper it doesn't deserve to be monitored by proz. Please ignore it in the future Romina!

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
Member (2007)
English to French
the Ministry of Defence Nov 7, 2011

has signed a £30 million contract with a translation agency that I shall not name. UK interpreters know the full story, petitions are signed, etc.

I am proud to say I have never bought the Daily Mail.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
This is ridiculous... Nov 7, 2011

A quote from the article: A spokesman for The Taxpayers' Alliance told the Sun Newspaper: 'There will always be some cases where a translator is needed, but those who live in Britain should learn to speak English...

This is simply insane. I remember when I was a 16 y.o. Czech trainee working as a waiter at a restaurant in a small town in Austria to polish my German and to earn some money for my studies. I remember my German was more than good enough to perform my daily duties as a waiter, but if I had been involved e.g. in a road accident, I would have definitely needed an interpreter to fully understand all legal terms.

(continued) ...so that they are not a continuing burden on taxpayers.

As if those who live and work in Britain didn't pay taxes.

[Upraveno: 2011-11-07 10:11 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Right to justice Nov 7, 2011

There is no way around it.

In practice, lawyers and courts ensure that 'legalese' and procedures used in court are 'translated', so that natives involved in a court case or parties to a contract understand what is going on. This is taken for granted as part of their job. You cannot assume that every 'passenger on the Clapham omnibus' is familiar with legal terminology.

Naturally, lawyers and court officials cannot be expected to master the language of every tourist or
... See more
There is no way around it.

In practice, lawyers and courts ensure that 'legalese' and procedures used in court are 'translated', so that natives involved in a court case or parties to a contract understand what is going on. This is taken for granted as part of their job. You cannot assume that every 'passenger on the Clapham omnibus' is familiar with legal terminology.

Naturally, lawyers and court officials cannot be expected to master the language of every tourist or visiting student, and even those who have learnt the language to a normal level may need help, as Stanislav Pokorny points out. But they have the same right to justice as everyone else. Or to be heard as witnesses, for the benefit of others.

Divide the 25 million between all the taxpayers in Britain, and be thankful that you live in a country where there is such a level of justice. That is my argument when similar comments are made in Denmark. It is a small price to pay to defend human rights, including our own.

Many British do not speak other languages fluently, and should imagine what would happen if they had an accident abroad and had to appear in court.

Consuls and interpreters would come at once, and who do they imagine would pay?
Sorry, I get angry about this sort of thing too.

I have signed at least one petition about the situation in the UK...
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Indeed Nov 7, 2011

Christine Andersen wrote:

In practice, lawyers and courts ensure that 'legalese' and procedures used in court are 'translated'...

Exactly. It's the same as if one said that all people should learn the law to eliminate the costs of counsels ex officio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cost in translation: £25 million a year paid for interpreters at crown court

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »