https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/217492-paulo_coelho_calls_on_readers_to_pirate_books.html

Paulo Coelho calls on readers to pirate books

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Paulo Coelho calls on readers to pirate books".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
"Pirate" Translators Feb 2, 2012

This article provides an interesting alternative perspective on an issue which is usually presented in one-sided terms (IMO). I'd like to know what others think of it, particularly as translation has been and is crucial to this process/industry. How do you think this affects the translation industry and particularly the work and worth of literary translators?

Coelho makes some interesting points about the transfer and ownership of information and its value, but I guess - as the articl
... See more
This article provides an interesting alternative perspective on an issue which is usually presented in one-sided terms (IMO). I'd like to know what others think of it, particularly as translation has been and is crucial to this process/industry. How do you think this affects the translation industry and particularly the work and worth of literary translators?

Coelho makes some interesting points about the transfer and ownership of information and its value, but I guess - as the article states itself - it's not limited to novels. With manga graphic novels, this has gone on for a long time; I don't know how it has affected that industry but it'd be interesting to know if it affects other media translators are involved in as well.
Collapse

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
Romanian to English
+ ...
In the light of the recently signed ACTA Feb 2, 2012

This is particularly interesting in the light of the recently signed ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement).
While I don't like Coelho's books at all, I find this initiative to be great.
I've read somewhere that music and film piracy actually contributes to sales, because people - albeit not all, but many enough - often buy music and movies after hearing/seeing the illicit copies first. Not sure what's the situation abroad, but over here in Romania nobody would stay hours in a m
... See more
This is particularly interesting in the light of the recently signed ACTA (Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement).
While I don't like Coelho's books at all, I find this initiative to be great.
I've read somewhere that music and film piracy actually contributes to sales, because people - albeit not all, but many enough - often buy music and movies after hearing/seeing the illicit copies first. Not sure what's the situation abroad, but over here in Romania nobody would stay hours in a music store to just listen to a music CD to see whether it's worth buying. I think the same applies to books, although it's a great experience to "smell the books" before buying them
I can imagine people buying books after seeing unauthorized pdf copies.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:25
Japanese to English
Hmm Feb 3, 2012

He does have a point that one of the biggest challenges facing (new) writers is getting people to read their work in the first place. How do you persuade people to buy your new horror novel when you're Jim Brown, not Stephen King, especially when you don't have a huge publisher backing you?

Allowing the whole thing to be pirated might be a big much, but I'd certainly post at least the first few chapters online in that case. I'd want someone, anyone to read it and hopefully like it.
... See more
He does have a point that one of the biggest challenges facing (new) writers is getting people to read their work in the first place. How do you persuade people to buy your new horror novel when you're Jim Brown, not Stephen King, especially when you don't have a huge publisher backing you?

Allowing the whole thing to be pirated might be a big much, but I'd certainly post at least the first few chapters online in that case. I'd want someone, anyone to read it and hopefully like it. Even if they don't buy it, at least they know I'm out there.

Aisha Maniar wrote:

With manga graphic novels, this has gone on for a long time; I don't know how it has affected that industry but it'd be interesting to know if it affects other media translators are involved in as well.

I read an article recently that suggested that piracy is part of the reason why manga publishing is dying in America (http://io9.com/5874951/why-manga-publishing-is-dying-and-how-it-could-get-better).

[Edited at 2012-02-03 03:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-03 03:28 GMT]
Collapse

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)
Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:25
English to Polish
+ ...
really? Feb 3, 2012

Annamaria Amik wrote:

I've read somewhere that music and film piracy actually contributes to sales, because people - albeit not all, but many enough - often buy music and movies after hearing/seeing the illicit copies first.

Nowadays it takes a musician about 15 thousand copies sold to win a Gold Record in Poland. Before the internet, it was a quarter million.

Not sure what's the situation abroad, but over here in Romania nobody would stay hours in a music store to just listen to a music CD to see whether it's worth buying. I think the same applies to books, although it's a great experience to "smell the books" before buying them
I can imagine people buying books after seeing unauthorized pdf copies.

It's not a coincidence that piracy is not such a problem with books. People still like paper books more than electronic copies. With music, it's all media players and electronics.

[Edited at 2012-02-03 09:17 GMT]

Ivan Rocha, CT
Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A bad writer... Feb 3, 2012

...Giving a bad, bad advice.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
He's right on one point as far as I'm concerned Feb 4, 2012

I actually go and buy the books and audio-visual products that I like or need after a sampling. As far as bookstores are concerned, that's why we browse.

Nuno Rosalino
Nuno Rosalino
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:25
Member (2012)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Huh.. Feb 4, 2012

Ivan Rocha wrote:

If Paulho Coelho is a bad writer; where are the people clamoring for you to get your Nobel, good sir?

Maybe Neil Gaiman is more to your liking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

[Edited at 2012-02-04 12:36 GMT]

Milena Nikolić
Milena Nikolić  Identity Verified
English to Montenegrin
+ ...
interesting! Feb 6, 2012

and unusual thing to be said by author...

Ivan Rocha, CT
Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Popularity Feb 6, 2012

Nuno Rosalino wrote:

Ivan Rocha wrote:

If Paulho Coelho is a bad writer; where are the people clamoring for you to get your Nobel, good sir?

Maybe Neil Gaiman is more to your liking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

[Edited at 2012-02-04 12:36 GMT]

...dear sir, is almost never a good gauge of one's quality. Danielle Steel, Stieg Larsson, Nora Roberts etc are all hugely popular.

Petro Ebersöhn (X)
Petro Ebersöhn (X)  Identity Verified
Coelho should speak for himself Feb 6, 2012

If Coelho have no problem that people download his books (and forward it to their friends) he should state clearly that it concerns ONLY HIS books, not those of other authors. To many authors the sales of their books are their bread and butter, and if you pirate it, you take the food out of their mouths so to speak.

If you have translated a book, one person buys it and forward it to 20 other potential readers/buyers, you only get commission on one book - 20 times less than if the 2
... See more
If Coelho have no problem that people download his books (and forward it to their friends) he should state clearly that it concerns ONLY HIS books, not those of other authors. To many authors the sales of their books are their bread and butter, and if you pirate it, you take the food out of their mouths so to speak.

If you have translated a book, one person buys it and forward it to 20 other potential readers/buyers, you only get commission on one book - 20 times less than if the 20 readers bought it. I think as translators our remuneration is small enough; why give it up completely for some author's whim? Would he be willing to pay his translator more upfront money for the loss of income he creates by encouraging piracy.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paulo Coelho calls on readers to pirate books

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »