Lost in translation: Chaos & confusion at press conference

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Lost in translation: Chaos & confusion at press conference".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 04:47
German to English
+ ...
Could someone Feb 16, 2012

actually explain this text. I'm a native speaker of English, regularly read newspaper texts and still I do not understand it. Having read the actual article at least the heading now makes sense, but I'm still at a loss as to what was done by whom. Any suggestions anyone?

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could someone Feb 16, 2012

David Wright wrote:

actually explain this text. I'm a native speaker of English, regularly read newspaper texts and still I do not understand it. Having read the actual article at least the heading now makes sense, but I'm still at a loss as to what was done by whom. Any suggestions anyone?

Sorry David, your guess is as good as mine. It's a fine example of gibbledy-gobbledy-gook if you ask me. If someone paid me ten cents a word, I reckon I could "invent" an apparently intelligible version, but as it stands it's almost complete gibberish.

[Edited at 2012-02-16 11:20 GMT]

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:47
Hebrew to English
Another dumbfounded native speaker... Feb 16, 2012

I think the entire thing was lost in translation. Reading it is like listening to one side of a conversation, parts make sense but you don't quite understand what's going on.

I think cohesion and coherence went out the nearest window.

Matthew Olson
Japan
Local time: 11:47
Japanese to English
I got it . . . I think Feb 16, 2012

But there was definitely a lot missing in terms of providing context and transitioning and a lot of the phrasing seemed to be directly translated from a language very dissimilar to English, even outside the quotations. It would be nice to know the story behind the story, so to speak.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Meaning of the text Feb 16, 2012

David Wright wrote:
Actually explain this text. I'm a native speaker of English, regularly read newspaper texts and still I do not understand it.

This is not so much a report as it is a column piece. The author likely assumes that the reader knows a bit about what he is talking about, and he tries to make it sound interesting, too. Or, he uses elegant variation in ways that stretch the usefulness of it, in an attempt to provide humour.

You have to read it carefully to figure out what is what, but eventually some things may make sense. One way to analyse it is to look at it as a collection of anecdotes (i.e. a train of thought) instead of a single, unified report.

It took me only about 30 seconds to realise that PC is press conference, but it took me more than 2 minutes to figure out that RJ means radio journalist and not Ravindra Jadeja (who is the subject of the interview)... though perhaps this confusion was intended by the author.

The heading "lost in translation" relates only to the last paragraph in which the column writer's translation of what was said differs from the media manager's translation. The second part of the heading, "chaos and confusion", relates to the opening sentence of the piece. The heading should not be taken into account when analysing the text because it was not originally part of it.

Keep in mind that in some newspaper offices the headings are not written by the authors themselves but by a sub editor who takes a very quick look at the piece before assigning a heading to it. The heading is therefore not a summary of the article but a teaser for it. This practice is also common in my home country South Africa, although I haven't seen it a lot in e.g. my current country, the Netherlands. What do newspapers in other countries do? Do newspaper headings in your country act as summaries or as teasers?

It is possible that the column writer's point is social commentary on the meaninglessness of sports press conferences, where the questions and answers are so boringly predictable that the only thing worth reporting is the entry of the radio journalist.

[Edited at 2012-02-16 12:11 GMT]

David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
RJ = Radio journalist Feb 16, 2012

That clears up a little of the text, but then who is Ajay, presumably not Ravindra Jadeja, or?

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Two different people.... Feb 16, 2012

David Wright wrote:

That clears up a little of the text, but then who is Ajay, presumably not Ravindra Jadeja, or?

Ravindra Jadeja is one person:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravindra_Jadeja

Ajay is his father's cousin (and another famous cricket player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajay_Jadeja

Wow, this is hard work!

Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:47
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the Translation Feb 21, 2012

Thank you Samuel, I read the article and was wondering if I was missing something.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It's amazing Feb 25, 2012

It's amazing how many perfectly good English words can be gathered together on one piece of paper (or computer screen) in what would appear to be reasonable grammatical order ... without making any sense to the reader.

At least I'm not alone!icon_smile.gif

P.S. I love this: "The RJ thought gazingly"! Must teach that to all my EFL students - then they can tell me what it meansicon_smile.gif

Sheila

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I liked... Feb 27, 2012

I enjoyed "Bursting through the latched door with panache".

Hello everyone, I've brought some panache !

And cream!

And I have the amazing ability to pass through latched doors!

The article is complete nonsense.

[Edited at 2012-02-27 08:48 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 08:17
English to Hindi
+ ...
A case of mistaken identity Feb 28, 2012

It is a cricket item, friends, involving Indian players, and without a bit of knowledge of Indian cricketing heroes, this piece just won't be comprehensible.

The RJ (radio journalist) who was a fan of Ajay Jadeja a brilliant Indian all-rounder who was in the Indian team sometime ago mistakes another cricketer of the current team touring Australia and bearing the same surname Jadeja (Ravindra Jadeja) for his hero and gate-crashes into the press conference to meet his idol. That is all there is to it.

Aapka naam Ajai hai? = Is your name Ajai?

On this side of the Indian Ocean = Australia; the Indian subcontinent and Australia face each other on the Indian Ocean, just like UK and USA.

Lost in translation = the press manager completely mistranslates what Ravindra Jadeja says in Hindi (the English version of which is given in this report).

It is supposed to be a humorous piece, but I agree the humour is rather thin and contrived. People with some background knowledge of the above points might have got something out of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost in translation: Chaos & confusion at press conference

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search