https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/219074-moj_ditches_new_court_interpreting_system_in_face_of_major_backlash.html

MoJ ditches new court interpreting system in face of major backlash

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "MoJ ditches new court interpreting system in face of major backlash".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 11:36
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Shows us that sometimes standing up for our rights Feb 24, 2012

as translators/interpreters really makes a difference.

And that cheap sometimes comes at a high price.

[Edited at 2012-02-27 21:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-27 21:30 GMT]

Matthew Olson
Matthew Olson
Japan
Local time: 18:36
Japanese to English
Unbelievable rates Feb 26, 2012

I have been watching this as it unfolds and I simply cannot believe they thought they could get away with paying people, at most, 22 pounds an hour. I'm not an interpreter, but I am well aware that interpreters, especially highly specialized ones such as legal interpreters, earn and deserve to earn a high hourly fee for their services. When an organization that is only willing to pay a little more than what you could make working at your local fast food chain is paying is put in charge of the wh... See more
I have been watching this as it unfolds and I simply cannot believe they thought they could get away with paying people, at most, 22 pounds an hour. I'm not an interpreter, but I am well aware that interpreters, especially highly specialized ones such as legal interpreters, earn and deserve to earn a high hourly fee for their services. When an organization that is only willing to pay a little more than what you could make working at your local fast food chain is paying is put in charge of the whole system, it's no wonder that all self-respecting professionals would refuse to work with them. Simple supply and demand, and never mind all the other problems ALS seems to have. Even as a fairly new translator only working in general areas, I can easily beat ALS' wage. No one who spent the years to become able to smoothly interpret court proceedings on the spot is going to debase themselves like ALS and the MOJ seemed to expect them to. Might as well ask a surgeon to work for 22 pounds an hour, or an airline pilot. "And here's an extra five pounds for signing up with our online system - don't spend it all in one place now!" Ludicrously disrespectful.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MoJ ditches new court interpreting system in face of major backlash

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »