https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/223678-google_translate_draws_200_million_users_each_month.html

Google Translate draws 200 million users each month

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Google Translate draws 200 million users each month".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:11
English to Polish
+ ...
English Polish translation quality of Google Translate has dropped... Apr 28, 2012

...quite a lot

Is it along the lines of paying peanuts and getting monkeys?

Piotr

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good news! Apr 28, 2012

To me, this is very good news. The desire (and need) to communicate internationally will increase the amount of work available for professional translators, since generally people are not stupid and know that they need translators for their important matters.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
How many successfully? Apr 28, 2012

It is indeed a handy tool for basic comprehension and communication, and the fact you can use it free of charge is a bonus.
However, It would be interesting to know what percentage of these users are professionals and manage to come up with anything other than a dog's breakfast; I'd guess around 10-20%...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:11
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Depends Apr 28, 2012

neilmac wrote:

to come up with anything other than a dog's breakfast

Depends on what you translate. Google Translate is excellent when it comes to usual marketing nonsense used by many companies to show off.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:11
Hebrew to English
Depends Apr 28, 2012

esperantisto wrote:
Google Translate is excellent when it comes to usual marketing nonsense used by many companies to show off.

Depends on what language pair. For Hebrew and Greek at the very least, it always - without fail - produces gobbledygook. Especially for more "flowery" texts.

[Edited at 2012-04-28 08:10 GMT]

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
I use it a lot Apr 28, 2012

For my Hebrew homework (studying at the moment) and have found it very useful for giving me an idea of what a sentence means. But it is by no means grammatically correct. I can see how a company would use it to understand what that e-mail they just received means but I would not recommend using it to send back a reply.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:11
Hebrew to English
Double, treble, quadruple check your homework! Apr 28, 2012

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

For my Hebrew homework (studying at the moment) and have found it very useful for giving me an idea of what a sentence means. But it is by no means grammatically correct. I can see how a company would use it to understand what that e-mail they just received means but I would not recommend using it to send back a reply.

Yes, grammatially it's awful for Hebrew. Wrong tenses, it ignores negative particles producing positive sentences. When it encounters most abbreviations it nearly has a heart attack.

An example:
"המפרטים הכלליים המצוינים לעיל, שלא צורפו למכרז / חוזה זה ואינם ברשותו של הקבלן, ניתנים לרכישה לאיתור באינטרנט,אתר משהב"ש www.online.mod.gov.il (מידע לספק-בינוי-מפרטי בינוי)."

"General specifications listed above, not attached to the tender / contract and are not in possession of the contractor, may be purchased for online, site Mshb"s www.online.mod.gov.il (information supply - Construction - Construction Mfrrti)."

I think it does have its uses, but it can also be dangerous in the hands of someone who isn't exactly knowledgeable about language/translation.

I use it when I want to get the gist of something in a language I don't speak. However, it doesn't even always fit this limited purpose.

[Edited at 2012-04-28 08:56 GMT]

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Great!!! Apr 28, 2012

Eileen Cartoon wrote:

a company would use it to understand what that e-mail they just received means but I would not recommend using it to send back a reply.

Great!!!

Nick Golensky
Nick Golensky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Tomas, Apr 28, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

To me, this is very good news. The desire (and need) to communicate internationally will increase the amount of work available for professional translators, since generally people are not stupid and know that they need translators for their important matters.

Agree with you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translate draws 200 million users each month

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »