Useful findings in the development of speech and image recognition software

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Useful findings in the development of speech and image recognition software ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dragon's den Jun 28, 2012

I'd just be content if I could get my speech recog SW to recognise the difference between "or" and "are" in my accent...

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dragon's den Jun 28, 2012

neilmac wrote:

I'd just be content if I could get my speech recog SW to recognise the difference between "or" and "are" in my accent...

Just try an Irish oneicon_smile.gif

But I do think that Translation has less than a generation left (except for a small niche of insured practitioners who take professional responsibility for key Legal and Medical documents).

As for Interpreters, most of the work is 'gist only' and that's a red flag.

Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:14
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Female faces Jun 28, 2012

Sometimes it happens that when I pick up a photo of one of my daughters, I ask who it is? Dad! It's me! Shame on you! icon_smile.gif

david young  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
Dragon's den Jun 29, 2012

"But I do think that Translation has less than a generation left (except for a small niche of insured practitioners who take professional responsibility for key Legal and Medical documents). "

I wholly agree that translation will soon be mastered by machines, and when you think that translation is among the most difficult tasks for machines to master... We'd better start being nice to machinesicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2012-06-29 15:40 GMT]

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 09:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dragon's den Jun 30, 2012

david young wrote:
I wholly agree that translation will soon be mastered by machines, and when you think that translation is among the most difficult tasks for machines to master... We'd better start being nice to machinesicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2012-06-29 15:40 GMT]

But no mere human will be able to pass their Igrunt (inverse Turing) testicon_smile.gif

Mark
Italian to English
Machine translation Jul 11, 2012

I’m rather taken aback by these predictions of the imminent mastery of translation by machines. I’m not convinced that humans have, so expecting computers to sort it out seems rather Utopian.

Decades ago people were worried about not knowing what to do with all the leisure time that technology would inevitably provide. Is it just my imagination or are pension ages rising across Europe?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Useful findings in the development of speech and image recognition software

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search