Quebec forum seeks French word for 'hashtag'

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Quebec forum seeks French word for 'hashtag'".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Anne-Charlotte PERRIGAUD  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:00
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Typo Jul 12, 2012

There was a typo. I think I managed to edit the post. (The correct spelling I meant to introduce is: 'translation'

[Edited at 2012-07-12 12:17 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The link is broken Jul 12, 2012

:|

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Link Jul 12, 2012

http://tribune.com.pk/story/404406/quebec-forum-seeks-french-word-for-hashtag/

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A rose by any other... Jul 13, 2012

In the States they call the hash symbol "pound sign", which baffled me the first time I heard it. According to wikipedia, in FFF (French From France) it's called "croisillon":
-> "Le croisillon est le signe typographique « # ». Il est souvent confondu avec le dièse « ♯ »."
However, I think it's probably best to ask someone (preferably young) who actually uses them a lot and has their finger on the pulse of what the kids on the (Quebec) streets are currently calling the blessed thing.

Check this:
http://fr.spontex.org/le_saviez_vous/1265/None

[Edited at 2012-07-13 09:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-13 09:58 GMT]

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Le hashtag Jul 13, 2012

They want to hurry up if they don't want "le hashtag" to stick:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashtag

Matthew McCarthy  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:00
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
Le Devoir article: Hashtag ou mot-clic? Jul 13, 2012

Here is an article from Le Devoir published in Feberuary 2011:
http://www.ledevoir.com/opinion/blogues/les-mutations-tranquilles/316992/hashtag-ou-mot-clic

The idea is that "mot-clic" is an IT version of "mot-clé" promoted by the Office québécois de la langue française. It actually describes the concept, whereas "hashtag" describes only the symbol used.

In Canada, we also call the # a "pound-sign" and a "number sign". I don't know why. I can see how "pound-sign" would cause confusion, though, between # and £. It seems the # is also referred to as simply the "carré" (preferred by the OQLF) or "signe numéro" (possibly influenced by the English "number sign")

[Edited at 2012-07-13 18:51 GMT]

Patricia Pulinckx  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
English to French
+ ...
Why "pound sign" Jul 13, 2012

Matthew McCarthy wrote:

Here is an article from Le Devoir published in Feberuary 2011:
http://www.ledevoir.com/opinion/blogues/les-mutations-tranquilles/316992/hashtag-ou-mot-clic

The idea is that "mot-clic" is an IT version of "mot-clé" promoted by the Office québécois de la langue française. It actually describes the concept, whereas "hashtag" describes only the symbol used.

In Canada, we also call the # a "pound-sign" and a "number sign". I don't know why. I can see how "pound-sign" would cause confusion, though, between # and £. It seems the # is also referred to as simply the "carré" (preferred by the OQLF) or "signe numéro" (possibly influenced by the English "number sign")

[Edited at 2012-07-13 18:51 GMT]

It seems to originate from a sort of shorthand used by clerks when writing the symbol for the pound (unit of weight). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

In Quebec, in French, most people are now using "carré" or "symbole numéro" but many people still use "Dièse" which stands for the musical symbol. Personally, I think that "le carré" is here to stay for anyone who cares to use French although I prefer the use of "symbole numéro" since that is what most people use it for.

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hashtag Jul 15, 2012

I see no problem with "le hashtag" - after all in Brazil we say "o hashtag". Maybe give it a French spelling like "l'hachtague"...
As for "tweet", how about "tuittier": je tuitte, tu tuittes, il tuitte, nous tuittions, vous tuittiez, ils tuittent...
This process is similar to what has happened in Brazilian Portuguese, with adaptations of words rather than creations of new ones: layout > leiaute, knockout > nocaute, football > futebol, etc.

Pierre Bancov  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Japanese to French
+ ...
going the french way Jul 17, 2012

Paul, this is precisely what France (and people who care about the way they speak french) don't want to happen.
I am guilty of saying "je tweete" but I never use the word hastag. I circumvent the problem by not mentionning it at all - after all, nly the keywords matter. Adding the hastag to help with the search function will be done "naturally" by the user.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quebec forum seeks French word for 'hashtag'

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search