New Bible translation hopes to engage readers with screenplay format, modern language

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "New Bible translation hopes to engage readers with screenplay format, modern language".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mark
Mark
Local time: 12:42
Italian to English
Think it’s been done before. Jul 31, 2012

My Dad’s a vicar; something similar has been on his bookshelf for as long as I can remember. Perhaps a script rather than a screenplay, and perhaps just the NT.

The link seems to be broken now.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 10:42
Japanese to English
Meh. Jul 31, 2012

“The Voice” not only reformats the Bible but also inserts words and phrases into the text to clarify the action or smooth transitions. These words are generally in italics so the reader can tell what the additions are. At other points, the order of verses is changed to make the story read better.

Sounds too gimmicky for me. Pandering to the lowest common denominator or whatever it's called.

Mark
Mark
Local time: 12:42
Italian to English
Aims of translation Aug 1, 2012

TransAfrique wrote: Sounds too gimmicky for me. Pandering to the lowest common denominator

That’s the point though: it’s meant to connect with as many people as possible, for reasons which are religious rather than academic. As a Catholic, I can appreciate what they‘re trying to do, though I don’t like gimmicks either.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Bible translation hopes to engage readers with screenplay format, modern language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »