https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/245521-apostrophe_ban_on_devon_councils_new_street_names.html

Apostrophe ban on Devon council's new street names

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Apostrophe ban on Devon council's new street names".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Berna Bleeke (X)
Berna Bleeke (X)
Local time: 11:25
English to Dutch
It's not true Mar 20, 2013

Darnit, I can't find the original article where I read about this. But what actually happened wasn't that they were just going to leave out apostrophes. The idea was to avoid giving new streets names that needed them in the first place.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
that does sound more sensible Mar 20, 2013

i wondered if that was what they meant but what do we want punctuation for anyway it just confuses everyone

in the old days i believe they alsowrotethewordstogetherwithoutspaces but i think the spaces at least were an improvement

my mother sometimes maintained that if stone age people were able to survive at all then they must have been much more intelligent than we were in the 20th century and the human race has been degenerating ever since

so now we have
... See more
i wondered if that was what they meant but what do we want punctuation for anyway it just confuses everyone

in the old days i believe they alsowrotethewordstogetherwithoutspaces but i think the spaces at least were an improvement

my mother sometimes maintained that if stone age people were able to survive at all then they must have been much more intelligent than we were in the 20th century and the human race has been degenerating ever since

so now we have reached the point where even apostrophes are too difficult for some people

she would have chortled over this story
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:25
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Old news now Mar 20, 2013

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-21835017

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Baker View Mar 20, 2013

If "Baker View" has no apostrophe, why are people so angry when "Bakers View" doesn't have one either?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Baker View Mar 21, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
If "Baker View" has no apostrophe, why are people so angry when "Bakers View" doesn't have one either?

Because thanks to careful grooming by publications such as the Daily Mail a large section of the population are in a permanent state of hair-trigger apoplexy, ready to explode at the the slightest sign of what they perceive as further degeneration of society.

[Edited at 2013-03-21 08:30 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bakers view Mar 21, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Bakers only view when they're watching TV.

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Spaces between words.. Mar 22, 2013

Christine Andersen wrote:

Hey, they are still doing that in Germany... smiles

Steve K.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Boustrophedon Mar 22, 2013

WORSETHANTHATCHRISTINESOMEANCIENTPEOPLES
CNIETIRWOTDESUSKEERGEHTDNASETITTIHEHTEKIL
APITALSWITHNOSPACESLEFTTORIGHTANDTHENRIGH
NOITAUTCNUPONHTIWSENILETANRETLANOTFELOTT

[Edited at 2013-03-22 15:16 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Donttelltheclients Mar 22, 2013

Giles Watson wrote:

WORSETHANTHATCHRISTINESOMEANCIENTPEOPLES
CNIETIRWOTDESUSKEERGEHTDNASETITTIHEHTEKIL
APITALSWITHNOSPACESLEFTTORIGHTANDTHENRIGH
NOITAUTCNUPONHTIWSENILETANRETLANOTFELOTT

[Edited at 2013-03-22 15:16 GMT]

I know, and
some clients are revertingtoit whenthey convertfromPDFs sothey canreduce the wordcount and keepthe ratedown.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:25
English
+ ...
what, not who Mar 24, 2013

The article ends with the comment “However, it declined to comment further and did not elaborate on who might be confused by the use of correct punctuation.”

This, of course, is asking the wrong question. It is not a who, but a what, that is being confused by apostrophes. The apostrophe is one of a small number of punctuation marks that routinely confuses computers (or rather poorly written software…).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apostrophe ban on Devon council's new street names

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »