Pictographs: the death of foreign language learning?

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Pictographs: the death of foreign language learning?".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:20
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Telegraph: the death of meaningful journalism? Apr 12, 2013

The flaws in this article's argument are too obvious to remark upon!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Telegraph: the death of meaningful journalism? Apr 13, 2013

JaneD wrote:

The flaws in this article's argument are too obvious to remark upon!

Exactly. The basic aim of papers like this and its sister rag is to arouse outrage or fear in the readers. File under needless hyperbole.

Funnily enough, the first article I came across just after posting today was this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli

[Edited at 2013-04-13 09:40 GMT]

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Exactly! Apr 13, 2013

That's a great article, Neil - I discovered this for myself a few years back, mainly down to spending so much time translating that I no longer had the inclination to browse news sites.

Being away from UK TV and avoiding all news on the Internet has made me much healthier in terms of fewer stress events per day - and I haven't missed out on anything important!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pictographs: the death of foreign language learning?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »