Dan Brown's Inferno: the hellish conditions endured by those translating author's new blockbuster

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Dan Brown's Inferno: the hellish conditions endured by those translating author's new blockbuster".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:56
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
One would think conditions such as these May 8, 2013

would affect the end-result negatively. The mere thought of translating in a bunker for 7 weeks makes my flesh crawl, and crawling flesh usually doesn't make my translations flow well.

[Edited at 2013-05-08 19:36 GMT]

Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
Well, probably more of a gimmick May 8, 2013

but honestly, could you make Dan Brown's writing any worse?

I do hope those poor people who were confined for 7 weeks (only 7 weeks for a whole novel!) got A LOT of mpney for that.

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
The Emperor's New Clothes May 8, 2013

Make the people believe your work really is worthy of such extravagant security measures, and they will buy it in droves...

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Already posted several days ago May 9, 2013

See:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/248336-an_inferno_to_read_and_infernal_to_translate_.html

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No.... May 9, 2013

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:

would affect the end-result negatively. The mere thought of translating in a bunker for 7 weeks makes my flesh crawl, and crawling flesh usually doesn't make my translations flow well.

Perhaps "creeping flesh" would flow better.

[Edited at 2013-05-09 04:48 GMT]

Petra_44  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
That's cool, I'd like to try that May 9, 2013

I think it sounds interesting and I'd like to try something like that, just for the experience.icon_wink.gif

Norskpro
Sweden
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Creeping flesh? May 9, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:

Perhaps "creeping flesh" would flow better.

[Edited at 2013-05-09 04:48 GMT]

Did Dan Brown write that?. Creeping flesh? All I can remember from that first book (sorry, don't even remember the title) is the clumsy sentence about the Louvre's pyramid being designed by the famous Chinese-American architect I.M.Pei.

Being locked in a bunker for seven weeks with a book by Dan Brown? No thank you.

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:56
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Obviously it was by consent May 9, 2013

In fact, some of the translators seemed to have enjoyed it. So, why not?

Not being able to use the Internet must have been a real obstacle though.

Cécile Sellier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Unique experience! May 9, 2013

I agree with Petra_44, I'd like to do something like that just for the experience, but only if I like what I'm translating and if the money's worth it!

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
The Emperor's New Clothes May 10, 2013

Fiona Peterson wrote:

Make the people believe your work really is worthy of such extravagant security measures, and they will buy it in droves...

Exactly my thoughtsicon_smile.gif

Norskpro
Sweden
English to Norwegian
+ ...
The eight worst sentences May 14, 2013

...in Dan Brown's Inferno:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100216857/dan-browns-eight-worst-sentences-in-inferno/

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I would be curious to know... May 14, 2013

what resources the translators had in the "bunker".

Did they have access to an on-line dictionary? Surely Dan Brown made allusions to Dante's Inferno and other works in the novel. Did the translators have access to these resources in the target language?

Were they allowed to go back and make changes to previous chapters after learning about certain things (clues) in subsequent chapters?

[Edited at 2013-05-14 21:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dan Brown's Inferno: the hellish conditions endured by those translating author's new blockbuster

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search