Haruki Murakami's new novel breaks the country’s Internet pre-order sales record (Japan)

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Haruki Murakami's new novel breaks the country’s Internet pre-order sales record (Japan)".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Dusan Miljkovic
Dusan Miljkovic
Serbia
Local time: 03:08
English to Serbian
+ ...
1Q84 May 10, 2013

I read 1Q84 last year and I liked the story in general, but either the English translation is not really reflecting his writing or he's a really lazy writer. Some of the passages and especially the dialogues felt like a work of an amateur.

I'm still not sure if I should try reading anything else by him or not.

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:08
Finnish to English
Agree May 10, 2013

The first part was OK but part 2 was just ... lazy, yeah

s

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
1Q84 May 10, 2013

I've never read a book worse than this!!

Murakami is a great writer, but, it seems that no one dares to say what it is obvious, due to the great sales success (The Emperor's New Clothes).

James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:08
Japanese to English
A Job for Somebody? May 14, 2013

Way back in the mists of time, I slaved through reading many modern Japanese authors such as Mishima, Dazai, Kawabata, etc., both in Japanese and English. Back then, there were some really good translators who took pride in their work. I think it was Mishima, in particular, who fell over himself with praise for his translator (whose name I have unfortunately forgotten).

Fast forward to the present and I don't really have time to pursue my love of Japanese literature. I did, howev
... See more
Way back in the mists of time, I slaved through reading many modern Japanese authors such as Mishima, Dazai, Kawabata, etc., both in Japanese and English. Back then, there were some really good translators who took pride in their work. I think it was Mishima, in particular, who fell over himself with praise for his translator (whose name I have unfortunately forgotten).

Fast forward to the present and I don't really have time to pursue my love of Japanese literature. I did, however, have a passing glance at Murakami in both English and Japanese. Both my son and I came away thinking that the English translation was a bit bland. Possibly a job for somebody (not me).
Collapse

Daniel Evans
Daniel Evans  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
IQ84 May 16, 2013

I've read a few of Murakami's books, which I liked, and I'm finding IQ84 to be a good read so far. I read the English translations of his novels and I don't find that the style gets in the way of enjoying the stories.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Haruki Murakami's new novel breaks the country’s Internet pre-order sales record (Japan)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »