UKIP county councillor proposes scrapping translation services in Lincolnshire

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "UKIP county councillor proposes scrapping translation services in Lincolnshire ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:04
Hebrew to English
Whatever your opinion of UKIP.... May 17, 2013

This article is clearly designed, with a political agenda, to discredit UKIP, rather than addressing the wider argument of cutting translation provision.

xxxS P Willcock  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:04
German to English
+ ...
well able to discredit themselves May 20, 2013

I'm sure that UKIP can shoot themselves in the foot quite well enough without a hostile press. the reporter was merely doing what the councillor should have done before he opened his yap - checking the actual level of expenditure, the statutory requirements and the rationale for spending.

United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Evidence May 20, 2013

S P Willcocks wrote:
checking the actual level of expenditure, the statutory requirements and the rationale for spending.

But the article merely states that:

"Coun Pain had not been able to check the cost of such services before raising his suggestion"

Without elaborating on how they know that, and why he allegedly couldn't check. Surely the amount spent on translation in previous years was a matter of public record by the time he made the statement (whether or not he consulted these figures is open to debate). Even though the amount had decreased (something perhaps he wasn't aware of) this isn't necessarily an argument against cutting it.

To reiterate, I'm not a UKIP supporter, but nor am I willing to condemn a man for making a statement, the sentiment of which is shared by other (non-UKIP) councillors in other councils, based on the alleged claim by the Skegness Standard that he didn't check the figures beforehand (which doesn't necessarily make his opinion wrong in any case).

[Edited at 2013-05-20 10:51 GMT]

Mark
Local time: 03:04
Italian to English
Freedom of Information Act May 22, 2013

I'm not an expert or anything, but I find it hard to believe he would be refused the information if he submitted an FOI request.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request/the-freedom-of-information-act

jackiekiefer
German to English
+ ...
Typical UKIP comment May 22, 2013

I don't think this article sets out to discredit UKIP, it just illustrates the kind of populist, ill-considered tripe their councillors come out with everywhere. They used to call the Conservative Party the "nasty party" but UKIP has long since left them behind in the nastiness stakes.

United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Hmmm....they definitely don't have the monopoly on nastiness... May 22, 2013

jackiekiefer wrote:

I don't think this article sets out to discredit UKIP, it just illustrates the kind of populist, ill-considered tripe their councillors come out with everywhere. They used to call the Conservative Party the "nasty party" but UKIP has long since left them behind in the nastiness stakes.

I wouldn't be so sure. The gay marriage bill is certainly bringing out the hardline tories with what can only be described as "nasty" views, some of them are practically foaming at the mouth. (Personally, some of the nonsense they are spouting goes beyond nasty, to downright hateful and bigoted).

Lord Tebbit's recent [incoherent] rant, being a prime example.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UKIP county councillor proposes scrapping translation services in Lincolnshire

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search