The University of Salford confirms plans to close courses in modern languages

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The University of Salford confirms plans to close courses in modern languages".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:02
Hebrew to English
Sad, very sad. Jun 7, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXd155v8Z5U

Direct link Reply with quote

Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:02
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Next thing Jun 7, 2013

will be computers translating better than human beings. Just like they actually do in chess playing. Only thing is languages can not be summarized in several rules like chess is.
Long live the Universal Translator! (just remembered a song from the 80s called "The Universal Soldier". We are the modern Condottieri!

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:02
Russian to English
+ ...
This is really sad. Jun 7, 2013

That computers will be translating really well, not to say better than the humans, might be just a pipe dream. So far they don't know even how to cook my dinner, regardless of years of attempts to develop multifunctional robots.

[Edited at 2013-06-07 09:42 GMT]

Chiara Sodi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:02
English to Italian
a fall in students demand...... Jun 7, 2013

the university seems to have joined the £9000 a year tuition fee club. No wonder there's been a fall in students demand.
Quite a gap between fees for a returning student (around £3000) and a new student (£9000). I'd probably look for a different university.

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Ah, my alma mater Jun 7, 2013

I worry for you. I had the best teachers I could have ever asked for. Very sad news.

Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
A shame but... Jun 7, 2013

In my opinion, it is just not worth studying languages nowadays at 9,000 pounds a year. You can study languages outside of a degree course, and you may well even learn more than studying them at uni. I still think that mixed courses are a good idea though, language + another subject. And I think that in the case of Britain, students should go for the bog standard French or German.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Sure Jun 7, 2013

Tatty wrote:

In my opinion, it is just not worth studying languages nowadays at 9,000 pounds a year. You can study languages outside of a degree course, and you may well even learn more than studying them at uni. I still think that mixed courses are a good idea though, language + another subject. And I think that in the case of Britain, students should go for the bog standard French or German.

Sure, there are many folks who graduate with a Master's degree in philology but have no better command of the language than C1, even B2 in some cases. At the same time, there are high-schoolers with C2 or near-native proficiency, who have obviously not been to any university yet.

Still... sad news. It really shouldn't be all up to completely commercial language schools.

[Edited at 2013-06-07 17:30 GMT]

xxxxxLecraxx
Germany
French to German
+ ...
uni Jun 7, 2013

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

Tatty wrote:

Sure, there are many folks who graduate with a Master's degree in philology but have no better command of the language than C1, even B2 in some cases. At the same time, there are high-schoolers with C2 or near-native proficiency, who have obviously not been to any university yet.

Still... sad news. It really shouldn't be all up to completely commercial language schools.

[Edited at 2013-06-07 17:30 GMT]

So the purpose of a Master's degree in philology is to learn a language?

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Why? Jun 7, 2013

Tatty wrote:
And I think that in the case of Britain, students should go for the bog standard French or German.

Plenty of other languages with prospects. Some argue that the dogged clinging to French and German in our education system has played its part in the downfall of languages here.

Tatty  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Opportunities Jun 7, 2013

Because that's were the opportunities lie, as far as I can see. You can always branch out afterwards.

Mike Sadler  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
So sad Jun 9, 2013

As one who graduated from Salford in 1977 with a BSc in Spanish and Russian (their charter didn't permit them to award BA's back then) I have no hesitation in asserting that my experience at Salford profoundly changed my life for the better. My fondest memories were of Mrs Ariadna Petrenko, who taught me Russian and saved my bacon when things got difficult, and Dr Leo Hickey, who taught me to think.

ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Similar course Jun 10, 2013

I studied on a similar course - there were only about five universities or so offering a non-literature based course at the time. It's sad to see it go. I must say that if I had my time again or were studying now, I would probably go or have gone to Germany to study - cheaper and would (have) reside(d) in the country where my main source language is spoken.

GFCooper
United Kingdom
Petition Jun 29, 2013

If anyone is interested, there's a petition against the closure:
http://www.change.org/petitions/the-university-of-salford-please-reconsider-closure-of-the-school-of-humanities-languages-and-social-sciences

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The University of Salford confirms plans to close courses in modern languages

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search