Health care providers hire interpreters for patients

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Health care providers hire interpreters for patients".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Simona Micutari  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Romanian
+ ...
Good idea Jun 17, 2013

I think it's a noble, good idea that will hopefully improve the quality of the healthcare for Spanish-speaking patients. In the medical profession, it's extremely important to understand correctly what the patient is saying in order to be able to provide the adequate care and treatment.

Direct link Reply with quote

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:25
Russian to English
+ ...
In the US there have been medical linterpreters Jun 17, 2013

in hospitals, and many other clinics, for years. It is absolutey essential.

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:25
English to Spanish
USA: Medical interpreters in many languages Jun 17, 2013

Simona Micutari wrote:
I think it's a noble, good idea that will hopefully improve the quality of the healthcare for Spanish-speaking patients. In the medical profession, it's extremely important to understand correctly what the patient is saying in order to be able to provide the adequate care and treatment.

LilianBNekipelo wrote:
In the US there have been medical linterpreters in hospitals, and many other clinics, for years. It is absolutey essential.

As Lilian says, there are interpreters for a huge amount of foreign languages, the most common being: Romanian, Spanish, Russian, Ukranian, Hindi, French, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.), Latvian, Tagalog, and many others.

Just in Washington state (where I reside), one of the 50 states of the USA, there are hundreds of them in the different languages.

Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Huge need for Bosnian/Croatian in St. Louis Jun 17, 2013

I've been asked to do some medical interpreting, but only for very simple things like immunizations for little kids. I thought it was a very rewarding experience, but I just don't have the knowledge or experience for it.

There is a large Bosnian/Croat population in my area and we desperately need more interpreters and translators to help these folks out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Health care providers hire interpreters for patients

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search