Catalonia cops protest against Russian language course
Thread poster: neilmac

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2013

According to this news item, police in Catalonia are protesting about a plan to teach them Russian "in one day" to deal with tourists after cutbacks in the number of translators.

http://noticia.ru/allnews/russkaya-ispaniya/katalonskie-policzejskie-protestuyut-protiv-kursov-russkogo-yazyika

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Makes total sense Jun 20, 2013

Indeed, I understand the policemen's complaints here. Tourists should learn Catalonian before being allowed to enter the land! By not learning Catalonian, tourists are curtailing the right of the Catalonian people and their police to speak their language.

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Learn Russian in one day? Jun 20, 2013

Lol, if you're going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all.

Decipherit  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:55
Portuguese to English
+ ...
English in 6 months anyone? Jun 20, 2013

Just as funny is the ad that accompanies the article to learn English in record time

Tanami  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:55
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
funny Jun 20, 2013

Note that the only source they quote is the same Russian website, and to me, this is a symptom. It does not necessarily mean the news is a fake, but I've gone googling and look what I've found:

http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/tarragona/20130618/54375760643/cursos-ruso-mossos-policias-locales.html
(in Spanish)

Definitely it's not about the Catalunian cops protesting against the courses, not to mention the fact you'll find no trace of any kind of "in one day" statements in this article.

[Редактировалось 2013-06-20 20:34 GMT]

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't shoot the messenger! Jun 21, 2013

Tanami wrote:

Definitely it's not about the Catalunian cops protesting against the courses, not to mention the fact you'll find no trace of any kind of "in one day" statements in this article.

[Редактировалось 2013-06-20 20:34 GMT]

Whoah there! I'm only passing on the link, which I found amusing, and what the article reports fits my definition of a complaint or protest, and also uses the expression "in a day", is albeit in inverted commas, which usually means it is used figuratively, as in "Rome wasn't built...."

"В своем официальном сообщении полицейские выразили сожаление в связи с тем, что данная инициатива призвана обучить агентов русскому "за один день"...

I make/made no assumptions regarding the veracity or otherwise of the "news" item, and simply posted it because of the laughable notion that Russian - or indeed any language can be learnt quickly. I've worked on several similar types of English courses organised by regional and local authorities and I know from experience that the expectations are usually absurdly high, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a grain of truth in the article as reported in the Russian version.

Texte Style
French to English
30 hours Jun 21, 2013

I agree Neilmac! As a teacher in an adult training centre, I had any number of people who had failed to learn even the basics during about ten years (secondary school plus an hour a week at uni) yet expected me to work wonders in the 30 lunchtimes their boss so generously gave them.

I had great success with a switchboard operator/receptionist: I helped her become operational in one hour. I taught her to say "hold on please" on the phone and "sit down please" to people in the lobby, so she could then fetch her colleague without the visitors or callers feeling bereft.

At her next lesson, she told me some English lawyers had come for an appointment the day after that first lesson. She told me, eyes shining, how she got out her exercise book, and said "seeet douuuuune pliz". Then she grabbed my arm and cried "ET ILS SE SONT ASSIS!!!!" (they sat down). It was like magic to her! She never learned anything else in the entire course, but she was deemed operational. Definitely one of my best students!

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Laughable? Jun 21, 2013

neilmac wrote:
…the laughable notion that Russian - or indeed any language can be learnt quickly.

Russian surely can’t. But the general assumption is wrong: you can quickly and efficiently learn Esperanto.

Tanami  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
oops Jun 21, 2013

neilmac wrote:
Whoah there! I'm only passing on the link, which I found amusing, and what the article reports fits my definition of a complaint or protest, and also uses the expression "in a day", is albeit in inverted commas, which usually means it is used figuratively, as in "Rome wasn't built..."

"В своем официальном сообщении полицейские выразили сожаление в связи с тем, что данная инициатива призвана обучить агентов русскому "за один день"...

I make/made no assumptions regarding the veracity or otherwise of the "news" item, and simply posted it because of the laughable notion that Russian - or indeed any language can be learnt quickly. I've worked on several similar types of English courses organised by regional and local authorities and I know from experience that the expectations are usually absurdly high, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a grain of truth in the article as reported in the Russian version.

I did not mean to have a dig at you personally. I just wanted to point how amusingly odd the original story may appear when re-written for a Russian website. Who knows how many more interesting facts about the police in Catalonia you will learn from a Chinese/Indonesian/whatever part of the world-news website=)

esperantisto wrote:
...you can quickly and efficiently learn Esperanto.

True. I, for one, forgot it as quickly and efficiently as I had learned it. This is something that never happened when I had a go at a natural language beyond those of my professional interest, even if I hardly used it for ten words as a tourist.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Catalonia cops protest against Russian language course

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search