Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
A majority of Chinese speakers today find it hard to write their mother tongue

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "A majority of Chinese speakers today find it hard to write their mother tongue".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:25
English
+ ...
Learning Changjie Aug 15, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

Lincoln, Ambrose, good for you two- I've never managed Changjie, I found it way too complicated and fell asleep in my second lesson. I use "Chook-sing" and mandarin pinyin to type.

I totally agree that Changjei is complicated; neither is it very logical (though it claims to be), and that’s where intuition comes in. You just practice until you have its rules internalized, after that you just look at a character (whether on a piece of paper or in your imagination) and “feel” what keys you should be hitting.

If you use “Chook sing” you already have a vague idea of what the rules are; you just have to figure out what the real rules are and practice until you can forget about the actual rules. I’ve always told people that if you using “Chook sing” it pays to learn Changjei properly, since learning the rules actually takes away some of the guesswork when you hit those two keys.

When my intuition fails I also have to type with pinyin. Being so bad at Mandarin it’s quite a torture.

[Edited at 2013-08-15 23:59 GMT]

Matthew Olson
Matthew Olson
Japan
Local time: 06:25
Japanese to English
Is it possible that Chinese Aug 16, 2013

Sergio Juarez Garcia wrote:
And are smartphones in China so advanced that you can handwrite using a stick on the phone screen the hanzi and the smartphone recognizes them among a database of thousands of hanzi?

They are that advanced in Japan, as well, or anywhere else in the world, for that matter. My own Android phone (a Japanese model) includes an option for handwriting in characters on the default software keyboard, which is great for whenever I come across an esoteric character out on the street somewhere, but such software keyboards (which offer handwritten character input in addition to regular typing) are also available for sale on the Google marketplace for all Android phones.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:25
Chinese to English
+ ...
Actually Aug 16, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

Sergio Juarez Garcia wrote:

Thanks for your answer, Lincoln, xiexie!

From the part where we are from, "Xiexie" is not the best way to say thank you (it works obviously, but still) - "dor jie" is what you'll use.

Lincoln, Ambrose, good for you two- I've never managed Changjie, I found it way too complicated and fell asleep in my second lesson. I use "Chook-sing" and mandarin pinyin to type.

I use Cantonese input; I have never even been able to wrap my head around Quick

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

No rules are the rules Aug 19, 2013

Ambrose Li wrote:

When my intuition fails I also have to type with pinyin. Being so bad at Mandarin it’s quite a torture.

[Edited at 2013-08-15 23:59 GMT]

I am still pretty bad at chook-sing, using Mandarin pinyin is my preferred way to type. This brings me to another question...

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I use Cantonese input; I have never even been able to wrap my head around Quick

HOW??? Cantonese has 9 tones, when you say Cantonese input are you talking about 部首輸入法 or something similar or are you typing it phonetically? Would love to learn more, thanks!

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:25
Chinese to English
+ ...
Phonetic Aug 19, 2013

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=廣東輸入法&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
partial answer for question about Cantonese input Aug 19, 2013

Rita Pang wrote:

I am still pretty bad at chook-sing, using Mandarin pinyin is my preferred way to type. This brings me to another question...

This is because you aren’t familiar with the Changjei rules. “Chook sing” is just Changjei with all the middle keystrokes omitted, so if you don’t understand how to deconstruct a character using proper Changjei rules, when you use “Chook sing” you won’t do much better than guessing.

HOW??? Cantonese has 9 tones, when you say Cantonese input are you talking about 部首輸入法 or something similar or are you typing it phonetically? Would love to learn more, thanks!

If you are on a Mac (or Linux) it’s rather easy to set it up for Cantonese input; you just need to find a .cin file for Cantonese somewhere. I don’t know how to get Windows to do Cantonese input, except through special software like NJStar.

All the Cantonese input methods I’ve seen ignore the tones. There are ways to indicate tones (usually either 1–9 or 1–6, usually 1–6 these days) but they are not used for input on the computer. I can use the ones that are based on Jyutping, but you might be able to find input methods that use other schemes (e.g., the ones in NJStar).

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The whole thing could be the author's imagination Aug 19, 2013

The fact might well be to the contrary. The reason is people are exposed to Chinese characters 10 or 100 times more on a daily basis than when computer was not invented. The more you are exposed to a character, the better you write it.

Don't always trust what reporters say. Some of them lack in common sense.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A majority of Chinese speakers today find it hard to write their mother tongue

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »